• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Drop Bracket Cracked My FRAME!!!

Big D

I know, this has come up a lot in the past. I ran a search, found a few pics, but now I need to see more pics. My Duff trac bar drop bracket has finally decided to crack my frame on the left side of the frame rail, and has begun to brake off the factory welds on the factory trac bar bracket. And yes, I'm already looking at riser bracket's. My question is, what were some of the ways you gents went about enforcing that area. I was thinking of fish plating that area where the crack is. Maybe 1/8". Then taking a small section out of the factory trac bar bracket to compensate for the added thickness to the frame. Just an idea. Let me know. I'll try to add some pics later.

Doug

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
When I installed the drop bracket on mine I took a couple pieces of angle iron, cut and ground them to fit and then welded them to the frame and bracket. Since I haven't done any wheeling(still waiting for parts) I can't say how effective it will be but should distribute the force a little better or it might just take a bigger section of the frame out.%) Time will tell.

Good luck, Walt

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
:p :p :p I would go with the fishplate and think I would use 3/16 plate good luck and have fun.:D :D :D Bill %) :cool: ;D