• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual 9000's up front overkill?

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I used to run a single rancho 9000 on the front of mine. It bottomed out just about every time I took it down a fast wash or through the dunes. I moved to a bilstien 7100 and now, I can go faster down the same road, and it doesn't bottom out.
There are two key differences between the bilstiens and the ranchos. Bilstiens have about 200 psi of nitrogen pressure on them. When the shock gets hot ( and they do -- feel your ranchos after a run down a bumpy road), the oil thins out, and it can even start to boil or foam. When the oil foams, it no longer slows down the piston thats pushing through it so its almost like it doesn't exist. Under 200 PSI, the oil won't foam, so bilstiens still work when they are hot.
Second, Bilstien valving can sense how fast the shock is moving up and down, if its moving slow, like on a smooth road then it moves easy ( gives a soft ride), if it moves fast like a hard bump, then if firms up to keep you from bottoming out.

What happens with dual ranchos, is that they ride really stiff on the road, then when you get off road, they get hot, and then they are too soft. Duals will take longer to heat up than a single, but they still will eventually foam.

I would take a single bilstien 5100 over rancho duals, and the Bilstein 5100 isn't that much more expensive.
Tom

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
A Properly valved #7100 SBRR Bilstein is about the best shock your ever going to buy for a EB. Valve them for the majority of where you drive and you won't regret it. You can spend $$$ many times playing around with cheap shocks or get Bilsteins once.

If I can help lst me know.

Cary

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
I used to run a single rancho 9000 on the front of mine. It bottomed out just about every time I took it down a fast wash or through the dunes. I moved to a bilstien 7100 and now, I can go faster down the same road, and it doesn't bottom out.
There are two key differences between the bilstiens and the ranchos. Bilstiens have about 200 psi of nitrogen pressure on them. When the shock gets hot ( and they do -- feel your ranchos after a run down a bumpy road), the oil thins out, and it can even start to boil or foam. When the oil foams, it no longer slows down the piston thats pushing through it so its almost like it doesn't exist. Under 200 PSI, the oil won't foam, so bilstiens still work when they are hot. Second, Bilstien valving can sense how fast the shock is moving up and down, if its moving slow, like on a smooth road then it moves easy ( gives a soft ride), if it moves fast like a hard bump, then if firms up to keep you from bottoming out.

What happens with dual ranchos, is that they ride really stiff on the road, then when you get off road, they get hot, and then they are too soft. Duals will take longer to heat up than a single, but they still will eventually foam.

I would take a single bilstien 5100 over rancho duals, and the Bilstein 5100 isn't that much more expensive.
Tom
I agree that a 5100 is great shock, but IMO Bilstein doesn't offer the right valving for the front of a EB in the 5100 unless you go to a dual setup. This is why most people go to a 7100 in the front. One 7100 is cheaper than two 5100's. You will however find adequate valving in the 5100 for the rear. This is the valving I recommend for single shocks on a bronco rear: 275/78 and front:360/80.

OP
OP
gjrock

gjrock

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Anacortes,WA
Thank you for all the positive info.I will go with the Bilsteins.Sounds like a single 7100 and the 5100 in the rear.

MADHATTER

Dual shocks act like a sway bar for handling. Overkill is always better than underkill because underkill never killed anything!