• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual exhaust routing HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Lowest part of the muffler is above the top of the frame rail...im going to add a couple small plates to protect them from "pointy" rocks that could slide between the rock skis and the frame rails and/or arms/link bars.

Floors are lowered on one side and raised on the other for room...

Attachments

• 20180608_080500.jpg
    20180608_080500.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 109

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
20170518_183109_zpsv3qyaerd.jpg

Damn radius arms! That setup is tight! HP 60 up front?

yup I like that a lot...

Did you set the pipes up so the uncouple and can be pulled out if you need to drop the trans or whatnot?

Other than note, maybe going single exhaust is the way to go? Aren't they better for low end torque? It's not until the upper end rpm's that you need to worry about exhaust restriction effecting HP curve, right? Who here is pushing their Bronco into the 6 or 7 grand range?

Hinmaton

Yeah, HP D60. The exhaust comes out as one piece after I remove one hanger above the rear axle. I've had it mounted like that for years with zero issues - I drop the front, slide it forward until the rear clears the axle and then slide it out the side. Same with a manual and an auto.

I run my Bronco up to 6250 quite often and it sings without an issue. For how little exhaust there is it ins't loud with the Thrush welded - idle note sounds real nice and isn't annoying.
https://youtu.be/jFST7oP-GSE

OP
OP

70sbudget

Lowest part of the muffler is above the top of the frame rail...im going to add a couple small plates to protect them from "pointy" rocks that could slide between the rock skis and the frame rails and/or arms/link bars.

Floors are lowered on one side and raised on the other for room...

Awesome!!!!!

nvrstuk

Contributor
Kyles done a great job stuffing it all in there! Works great.

I just sent a pic of mine to show something different... I had to cut/modify my JBA shorty headers on both sides but on the DS the D60 HP yoke hit the collector at full stuff...about 3" of the collector area of the header had to be cut and I welded in a PwrStroke 3" 90 deg downpipe sweep. I have appr 3/8" clearance there now.

Joe473

Yeah, HP D60. The exhaust comes out as one piece after I remove one hanger above the rear axle. I've had it mounted like that for years with zero issues - I drop the front, slide it forward until the rear clears the axle and then slide it out the side. Same with a manual and an auto.

I run my Bronco up to 6250 quite often and it sings without an issue. For how little exhaust there is it ins't loud with the Thrush welded - idle note sounds real nice and isn't annoying.
https://youtu.be/jFST7oP-GSE
Even with a 2 into 1 exhaust with a mild 347. somewhat limited Gt 40 heads, and a comp 35- 349 I had to set the Rev limiter to 6200 for peace of mind. In first and second to revs so fast I bounce it off the Rev limiter when playing around. Even 3rd will hit it.

With that said I'm probably leaving some power on the table with the 2 into 1 but I also feel my engine wouldn't be as torquey or stock sounding at idle with true duals.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Howard2x4x4

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What is the rationale behind an "X" or "H" crossover pipe? Equalize back-pressure? Thanks. Howard in beautiful west Michigan

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
It's more "tuning" than changing backpressure. But the two concepts cross over and mingle anyway.
But yes to the "equalizing" concept. Takes the pulses and other resonances and lets them transfer as they want to the other bank with the lower pressure.

But it's to me a better sound on Fords. I don't mind discrete duals as much on Chevy's, but with Fords I always preferred the sound of either a single exhaust or attached duals.

The crossover was the first to be tried if I remember the sequence. And it was racers and tuners like Smokey Yunick that got the ball rolling for the rest of the world. The X-pipes came about more recently (like 25 years recent?;)) for packaging reasons I believe. Although the originators may have been trying too, to smooth out the transitions between the banks.

X-pipes just don't lend themselves well to trucks. Especially 4wd trucks with all their extra crap underneath. A 2wd or a car on the other hand, can run the duals closer together at some point and not interfere with as much stuff. That way they can add an x-pipe with less trouble.
But in a situation like a Bronco with true duals, a cross-over tube (or "H-pipe" as they're now called) is more compatible.

Convenience is why we see more dual-in-dual-out mufflers, H-Pipes, and simple joints between two tubes than we do true x-pipe fittings.
But peruse the X-pipe supply at Summit sometime to see the different designs.
Me, I think a "chamber" setup would be beneficial to some setups. That would be were a section of the two banks is connected by a long chamber, rather than a single tube. Think "x-pipe on steroids" or something like that.

Here's a fun watch. It's not necessarily an engineering dissertation, but it's got some great feedback:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCio5K0WfHU

Enjoy

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used to have plenty of arguments with my favorite muffler shop owner about crossovers. He refused to add them because he said they "added backpressure" which I found patently rediculous.
Maybe his rationale (he never said why, I'm just assuming) was that because it often made the exhaust note quieter, that must mean it's increasing backpressure.

He's still the stubborn type, so I bet he still doesn't believe that all the hype about them has any merit.
I even tried to tell him that racers do it and he didn't believe me. He's built himself some custom rides, and must at some point talk to other gear heads about it and maybe even read a magazine or three. But you could not convince him that connecting banks of a dual system together had any merit whatsoever.

That's ok. As long as I believe in it, I'll continue to use exhaust setups that utilize some form of it or another.

Paul

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Couldn't be happier with the sound of the crossover. Honestly can't stand the sound of by friends who have straight duals in their broncos. The crossover is a mandatory for me at this time.

It definitely makes duals quieter. I had to tie mine together to get rid of the drone. I've even seen multiple "H" piles added to control drone on larger pipes.
The thing is though, it changes the exhaust note and looses some of the crispness I like.

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I heard once that you would be better off to install the dual system, then paint the pipes to see where they get hot enough to burn the paint off. That location is where you want to install the cross over tube. This isn't always the most convenient location however.

nvrstuk

Contributor
X2...definitely helps get rid of the "raspy" individual pulse from each cylinder firing...smooths that out...so does different brands of mufflers to some extent.

Exhaust tone is so personal---what one guy loves makes another guy ...well...hate! :)

Heres the key --- what sounds great for a quick run to the store, beach, car show can be absolutely hated for a trip or 2 hour cruise!!! Not being able to have any conversation while cruising gets old...OR the dreaded Flowmaster drone!! :( Takes the fun out of the day!

Took me 3 different exhaust systems to quiet the stroker down..and still like the tone...

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Me..I really like the sound I get from the super-single setups I've done. So...

The dual lake pipes on my '69 Bronco have a unique sound though...I have to admit. No crossover with that setup. ;-)