• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dual tanks efi

ttkelly

Thanks for the quick response! With the higher pressure 6 way valve where would I install the fuel pump? It needs to be close to the tank as I understand. Would is still make sense to have two pumps in this instance? If so would I need to add a relay and a mechanism to engage one and not the other based on the the toggle switch.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the quick response! With the higher pressure 6 way valve where would I install the fuel pump? It needs to be close to the tank as I understand. Would is still make sense to have two pumps in this instance? If so would I need to add a relay and a mechanism to engage one and not the other based on the the toggle switch.

I would use in tank pumps in each tank.
That valve also switches the sending unit for the gauge, so the switch on the dash can control all of it.
Here are the specs / install instructions:

Attachments

• 42-159 IS_41-revdd.pdf
    419.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IS-41_b.pdf
    116.3 KB · Views: 19

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
For what it's worth I've been running dual tanks with a 6 port Ford-spec Pollak valve since I got my SEFI 5.0 running 18 years ago. Valve #2 just failed a couple of weeks ago. Symptoms included returning to the wrong tank and spiking fuel pressure. Because of my aviation connections I got one of these for a sinfully low price: http://www.andair.co.uk/product/duplex-fuel-selector-fs2020-d2/
It's going on next. Had I not had the Andair valve on hand I'd go with the valve in post #7. I will miss the convenience of the electric switching but not the risk of having to jury-rig around a stuck valve in the field. I take trips in my Bronco where sometimes even 35 gallons of onboard tankage is marginal so I want the stuff to work. Not to say that my solution is "better", mostly a HU about the Pollak valves and little-mentioned manual duplex valves.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks Lars. And good to see you this weekend again too!
Always glad to have your input.

Seems like 2 valves in 18 years isn't so bad by today's standards, but yeah, I'd rather have one that just lasts forever instead.

Paul

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks Lars. And good to see you this weekend again too!
Always glad to have your input.

Seems like 2 valves in 18 years isn't so bad by today's standards, but yeah, I'd rather have one that just lasts forever instead.

Paul

Likewise seeing you, Paul.

Had something like the Groco 6 port valve existed when I was first organizing my fuel system I probably would've bought one, just because I'm suspicious of electrical stuff in those applications. Still, given that they are 3X as expensive as a Pollak motorized valve I can understand why folks wouldn't be lining up to buy them (let alone the Andair valve, let's not go there). Had my motorized valve failed a few hours before it did I would've been groveling in clay mud infused with snow to bypass it and gain access to the fuel in the aux tank. Ugh. Have I mentioned that my entire fuel system is now plumbed with PTFE-lined stainless braided hose and -6AN fittings? I'm not paranoid, my fuel system is just out to get me...

ttkelly

Likewise seeing you, Paul.

Had something like the Groco 6 port valve existed when I was first organizing my fuel system I probably would've bought one, just because I'm suspicious of electrical stuff in those applications. Still, given that they are 3X as expensive as a Pollak motorized valve I can understand why folks wouldn't be lining up to buy them (let alone the Andair valve, let's not go there). Had my motorized valve failed a few hours before it did I would've been groveling in clay mud infused with snow to bypass it and gain access to the fuel in the aux tank. Ugh. Have I mentioned that my entire fuel system is now plumbed with PTFE-lined stainless braided hose and -6AN fittings? I'm not paranoid, my fuel system is just out to get me...

Thanks Lars and Paul, I value reliability over nearly all else (Bronco has been in the family for over 40 years and i plan on at least doubling that!). If i were to go the Greco valve option how would the wiring work for the dual pumps? I assume it would be up to me power the correct pump with an independent electrical switch? The same switch that would be concurrently used for gauge?

Thanks and sorry i missed the festivities this weekend! Some folks from down here in SoCal picked up my new sniper, tank and power steering while up there!

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Thanks Lars and Paul, I value reliability over nearly all else (Bronco has been in the family for over 40 years and i plan on at least doubling that!). If i were to go the Greco valve option how would the wiring work for the dual pumps? I assume it would be up to me power the correct pump with an independent electrical switch? The same switch that would be concurrently used for gauge?

Thanks and sorry i missed the festivities this weekend! Some folks from down here in SoCal picked up my new sniper, tank and power steering while up there!

The stock switch is double pole/double throw, so it could be wired to switch both the pumps and the senders, as long as it's up to the task (current rating). Otherwise dodge the latter with relays. I'm running a frame mounted pump so I didn't face that.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And even though relays can fail eventually too, they've proven to be pretty reliable. Even the cheap imported stuff.
So because the dash switch is one of the most common failure points in these systems, using relays makes a lot of sense. Just takes that much more current out of the equation.
Even if the switch is actually up to the task, I would think it could last even longer.

Paul

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
And even though relays can fail eventually too, they've proven to be pretty reliable. Even the cheap imported stuff.
So because the dash switch is one of the most common failure points in these systems, using relays makes a lot of sense. Just takes that much more current out of the equation.
Even if the switch is actually up to the task, I would think it could last even longer.

Paul

Or just swap it for one of these: https://sensing.honeywell.com/2TL1-10-toggle-switches :cool: