• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

duff torque tamer nuts

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
So first off, I love my new Torque Tamer. I can do burn outs without my Bronco hoping and the yoke stays put right at the 2 degrees.

ONLY problem is, my 3rd member nuts get loose and leaks gear oil. Obviously I've been making sure it'll hold up and I've been really hard on it ;D. I punch the gas every chance I get haha.... Anyone else run into this problem and if so, How'd you fix it? I just put two locking nuts on the studs with the torque tamer bracket, but haven't tested it yet. I'm regretting not just welding on the Axle bracket. I need Ideas fellas! Monster Mike, school me if you see this man

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is the housing flexing enough to get things to loosen up like that?
What about the nuts themselves? Are they new, or are they the old ones? Old ones might not (probably don't) hold tight enough under the torque they're now seeing.

Just a thought.

Paul

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Is the housing flexing enough to get things to loosen up like that?
What about the nuts themselves? Are they new, or are they the old ones? Old ones might not (probably don't) hold tight enough under the torque they're now seeing.

Just a thought.

Paul

They're brand new locking nuts that are part of the kit. I suppose the longer studs that I pressed in could have not been 100% seated in all the way which might have loosened up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, that's a good thought. Happens a lot with wheel studs and such. Don't see why it could not be an issue here as well.
One way to find out is to just keep tightening them up for now. If it goes away finally, you're good to go.

I remember I had to carry my biggest adjustable wrench with me in my '71 when I replaced the pitman arm way back when. Apparently the splines were not precisely matched to my old steering box splines, and it would just keep riding up on them until it finally seated.
Took a month or two of daily driving and tightening the nut about once a week to get it finally seated.
Strange, but never caused any real trouble for me. Hate to think what it would do to someone that was not paying attention to that kind of thing and not doing the work themselves.

Paul

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Hmm, that's a good thought. Happens a lot with wheel studs and such. Don't see why it could not be an issue here as well.
One way to find out is to just keep tightening them up for now. If it goes away finally, you're good to go.

I remember I had to carry my biggest adjustable wrench with me in my '71 when I replaced the pitman arm way back when. Apparently the splines were not precisely matched to my old steering box splines, and it would just keep riding up on them until it finally seated.
Took a month or two of daily driving and tightening the nut about once a week to get it finally seated.
Strange, but never caused any real trouble for me. Hate to think what it would do to someone that was not paying attention to that kind of thing and not doing the work themselves.

Paul

Good Story Paul! My Axle studs had that issue the your pitman arm had. After a few re-torqueing they finally seated in tight also. I got my fingers crossed that my 3rd member stud issue is exactly that.

OP
OP
RODRIG3911

RODRIG3911

Contributor
Loc.
Tucson
Update. Took the Bronco to work, and at the end of the day I had no leak and the nuts were still torqued. seems that it was the studs not all the way seated...Hope this helps someone someday.