• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dumb vin number question

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
I just bought a 1976 u15 1/2 cab conversion. However, on the Bronco Ohio vin site it stops translating the vin codes for transmission and axles past 1972. So, if my vin reads G18J it's a automatic Dayna 30 with a 3.50L rear end? It's the best I could do by looking at the 1972 model year.

Thank you in advance and sorry for the dumb question. All my work on classic cars and trucks has been on my dad's 1960 Ford f100 and my 68 mustang. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to the Ford 4x4. I'm looking forward to learning and bonding with my 9 year old son.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
G is Auto transmission and 18J 3.50/3.54 gears with power steering. Welcome by the way. :cool:

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
So, is my front axle a Dayna 40 or a Dayna 30. I was told they stop putting the Dayna 30 in the front in 72. Lastly, I'm running stock tires because it's uncut. I'm reading on the forums that EVERYONE switches to a 4.11's. A stock 3.50 is perfect if I'm running stock tires, correct? I don't plan on doing any serious off roading. I plan on doing just basic camping and maybe the once a year snow storm in Texas. Yes, we do get snow from time to time.

Thank you so much in advance. My son and I are so excited to work on our "new" toy. My dad's 60 ford f100 has provided a ton of bonding time. He's becoming quite the mechanic at 9.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The front should be a Dana 44 (no Y ) but Previous Owners have been known to do strange things.

For more detailed info you should get a Marti report.
They have the Ford production database from 1967-2012

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
1971 was the change over year for the dana 30- dana 44. Seems to be a midyear thing as I've seen both in different 71 models.

Given the age of the vehicle there is no telling what maybe in your truck at the moment with the number of previous owner(s)

If the front axle has ball joints at the knuckle it's a dana 44. If has kingpins it's a dana 30.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Welcome too TexasDude!
Here's a page from our site you can use to determine if you do still have the 44 that your truck would have come with: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_Dana44
You can look at the two gasket shapes there near the top of the page and then look at the front cover of your diff to see which one it looks like.

Your '76 would have come with disc brakes in front, probably vacuum power assist (though that was an option) and most likely an automatic trans (manual was still standard, but by then most EB's were ordered with the automatic). So your 3.50's and smaller tires (31" or less) would be perfect.
I don't think we can say that everyone changes to 4.11's, but it is a great combination for most size tires and Broncos that are going to be used in a dual-purpose mode.
But for street and smaller tires to fit under the uncut fenders (no lift expected in your future?) then don't change the gears unless you need to. Or just want quicker acceleration.

Have fun with it. And post up some pics when you get a chance too. We like pics!
To do that directly from your computer or phone you have to become a contributor for 12 bucks a year. Before that though you can use an online image hosting site like SuperMotors or others (but not PhotoBucket!), or even e-mail any pics to one of us where you see the yellow "contributor" beneath their username.
I'll be happy to do it any time you want to show off your rig. Especially if you have some good pics of you and your son working on dad's old truck! Those are a joy no matter what the vehicle.

Thanks for joining us. Hope you and your son have a lot of fun with the Bronco as well.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And we really do like our family-bonding pics. One of my favorites has been posted up here many times of just the two pairs of feet (one large, one very small) under a Bronco. Made out Wild Horses catalog and I think one of the classicbroncos calendars at one point too.
Certainly made it into one of the many "show us your kids and Broncos" threads.

Maybe someone can find it and post it up again.

Paul

OP
OP
T

TexasDude

Loc.
Dallas
You guys are AWESOME!!! Thank you so much for the information. I will get on those pictures right away.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Welcome! Check out the Lonestar Early Bronco Club. If you're talking snow in Texas you're probably in North Texas! We're have a meet and greet in Dallas next week (details on the web site). Hope you can join us.

Broncomt

Welcome too TexasDude!
Here's a page from our site you can use to determine if you do still have the 44 that your truck would have come with: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/bronco_Dana44
You can look at the two gasket shapes there near the top of the page and then look at the front cover of your diff to see which one it looks like.

Paul

Good tip Paul. I wasn't aware of that for the 70's. I'll scope mine out today. Not ready to do drvetrain, but a good need to know.