• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

dump

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
What in the world would make my carbureted Bronco sit and idle, rev 5000 rpms like a champ, and then just die when I put it into gear? Any ideas

OP
OP
KRAWLER

KRAWLER

Loc.
Southwest VA
Automatic Tranny, C4. Idles just fine, rev's just fine. As soon as you hit "R", done, kills it. If you rev it up then put it into "R" you'll make it 6 or 8 feet before it chokes itself to death.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
will it go/ move, in any of the forward gears?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Broken sprag in the torque converter would be my guess. It can act 2 different ways. one way it will slip and not lock up and the other way it will lock up and not allow any "stall"
Torque converter is where I think the problem is.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
This was my first thought. And maybe timing...

That's what I was thinking as well.

Where is the idle speed set to? Try lowering it, lower then what you think it should be and tune for that lower idle speed. Crappy idle tuning that is made up for by cranking the idle speed up too high is another cause if there isn't a vacuum leak or other issue inside the carb and the ignition is correct.

76Broncofromhell

Bronco Totalitarian
Loc.
Reno, NV
Have you done a tune up on this recently?

You have no idea how many SBF guys do tune-ups to their vehicles with rebuilt engines and put the wires on according to the factory firing order and not to the late-model firing order which the engine has been rebuilt to.

What that will usually do is make idle OK and die as soon as you put it into gear.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
You got a vaccuum leak....

Check the unused ports on your carb..

Next would be timing...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
A local shop says vacuum-advance, I'm clueless are they right?

I'll guess probably not. But it might be bad, don't know, can't see it, can't test it. Vacuum advance usually doesn't have a vacuum signal at idle. Even if it is a leak, it should only be a minor one. What you describe sounds like a bigger one.

I have been proven wrong before.

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA
Could be the carb butterflies are open to far at idle and it is not using the idle fuel circuit. Will "run" fine but has no bottom end power.

wpaeb

Loc.
Clarion ,PA
Automatic Tranny, C4. Idles just fine, rev's just fine. As soon as you hit "R", done, kills it. If you rev it up then put it into "R" you'll make it 6 or 8 feet before it chokes itself to death.

Are you giving it gas? will it idle in gear? If it idles in gear check the accelerator pump and linkage to see if its working.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
Look back and think what have you done (changes to the engine) that may have caused this.

It may just need a tune-up.

quote; "Idles just fine, rev's just fine. As soon as you hit "R", done, kills it."

It should idle fine when in gear for an auto...