• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Duraspark or aftermarket ignition???

dbevans2249

Loc.
Buena Park, Ca.
I am running a modified Duraspark built by Ignition Engineering with the GM HEI Module and Pertronix Flamethrower Coil. It works great and I can carry a spare module in my shirt pocket though I have never needed the spare. Ignition Engineering builds better Distributors than factory or aftermarket IMO.

75junebug

Loc.
NW Houston Tx
I had procomp single wire HEI dizzy, and loved it. Pertronix caused me headaches too many times, and the Duraspark ran great, unless it was summertime. I had to pour too many adult COLD beverages on the box to cool it down for restart

399strokerEB

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wasilla, AK
I like the Duraspark hooked to a 6AL, been running it for years with no issues. Had nothing but bad luck with the pertronix in my stang.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
I took out my Pertronix and put in a set of stock points. These now control the MSD 6AL box. The points are a switch and do not carry the high current and last forever. The MSD does the work. If the MSD poops I can switch back to points to drive home. But with the MSD you get quick starts and multiple spark hits will fire even the nastiest looking plugs. Durapsark works great too. I just had the MSD around and from experience you can't beat it.

Sporto

I ran a Mallory Unilite for 20 years without any problems, when it went last summer it took me several failed attempts at HEI and/or replacing the Mallory...One even ended up with a flatbed ride home. :(

Now at Ransil's suggestion I picked up a Duraspark harness for about 10 bucks, and a new module and reman distributor from Advance Auto...all told it was less than 100.00. I had a core for the core charge on the dizzy.

Hooked it up with help from guys on here, set the timing and never looked back. Solid...
I keep a spare module in the back just in case...however I am not too worried.

Cheap and easy...

My .02