• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dustless blasting

Torkman66

Contributor
I've read several threads on this and other forums regarding dustless blasting. I've heard that the sand/water mixture makes a mud like mess that is difficult to remove from some areas. I plan on having my tub on a rotisserie completely disassembled. I'm planning on having everything blasted including doors, fenders, hood, etc, inside and out. Any advice on what to tell the guy who blasts it? For anyone who has done the dustless, how problematic is the cleanup before epoxy paint can go on? Any advice before I get this done would be great.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, but not necessarily about dustless specifically.
Unless the guys are extremely experienced, and even if they are, tell them to go with an extra light touch on the hood and grill.
The hood is mostly unsupported sheet metal and can warp without a moment’s notice and the grille is just plain flimsy.
The horror stories are Legion… Hardtops too.

It’s possible that the damage that occurred in the past was due to the heat of dry blasting as much as the actual force, but I wouldn’t want to take a chance.
Dustless blasting has the added benefit of cooling the metal that’s being blasted, but it wouldn’t hurt to bring up the subject with the blaster.

ssray

Loc.
South Central NE
There is plastic media which is supposed to be easy on sheet metal and fiberglass and I suspect mostly dust free. I know a guy that uses it but have not seen it first hand yet.

Scott

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've read several threads on this and other forums regarding dustless blasting. I've heard that the sand/water mixture makes a mud like mess that is difficult to remove from some areas. I plan on having my tub on a rotisserie completely disassembled. I'm planning on having everything blasted including doors, fenders, hood, etc, inside and out. Any advice on what to tell the guy who blasts it? For anyone who has done the dustless, how problematic is the cleanup before epoxy paint can go on? Any advice before I get this done would be great.

Watch the weekend shows, car shows that have a lot of good info I really thought about it as a side bizness.q

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Maybe just call the producers/distributors of the dustless blasting and get their input Won't hurt

nickgp

Bronco Guru
I have a dustless blaster and have done three Broncos. My best advice is to put down a plastic tarp to help w clean up.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
I heard the water mixed with the media keeps panels cooler so no warpage, but that the mixture leaves a lot of clay like goo behind in all the cracks. Anybody deal with this? Anybody with dustless blasting first hand experience regarding cleanup of the tub and parts for painting. Not worried about cleanup on ground, rather the pre paint prep of the tub and parts after the blasting.

nickgp

Bronco Guru
The blasting does leave behind a slurry/mud like mess that needs to be cleaned up. Rinsing w water that has rust inhibitor added , using compressed air, scooping up w a putty knife and brushing w a bench brush( when dry) are all needed to clean up the media. It is very time consuming.

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Is there a better option to completely strip to bare metal before epoxy paint given the cleanup mess dustless produces?

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
A cool video on dustless blasting.
Bronco frame
Bronco, plastic looks like a good idea.

And a VERY interesting flip side of the coin.

Lt1Burb

I dustless blasted mine, yeah it made a mess but wasn’t terrible to clean up. The only place it really packed in was in the rockers so I vacuumed it, blew a ton of air through the etc. I epoxied the next day and it was fine, it was after that and after it dried that the sand came out.
CF47C1A5-AC9F-492C-9D9B-78002975ABAF.jpeg DCDE048E-F070-4827-BC2E-AF5183F2A187.jpeg

OP
OP
Torkman66

Torkman66

Contributor
Nice setup. Would it be possible to tape off those areas where sand and water could get in (like inside the rockers)?

76 bumblebee

I have done mobile sandblasting with the Dustless Blasting DB500 for 3yrs. I started with "dustless" and the last 2yrs, I have done mainly dry blasting. The mess people are talking about is in all the little nooks and crevices where the wet media builds up. That buildup might get cleaned out with lots of rinsing. Make sure that the rinse water is mixes with a good rust inhibitor.
I would suggest doing the interior of the bronco dry if possible. Depending on where you are blasting, you might be required to blast wet because of legal reasons.