• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock E-Street, Throttle Body, EFI - Install

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, I took the plunge last week and ordered the E-Street EFI system from Edelbrock. I should get delivery in the next couple days, but I will post pictures and try to include as much details as possible with the install.

I chose the Edelbrock E-Street system with the Sump Tank/Pump fuel system. (EDL-3606) This fuel system requires NO modification at all to your existing fuel system prior to the Mechanical Fuel Pump. Just re-route the outlet side. The Mechanical Fuel Pump sends fuel to the Sump Tank, which acts like an Accumulator too, which has a high pressure fuel Pump inside that pumps High Pressure Fuel to the Throttle Body. This fuel system can be purchased separately and will work with other EFI systems as well.

With minimal fuel system changes from the start, going back to stock is VERY easy too if desired. Also, you can still use both Stock fuel tanks and the Original Selector Switch as well. None of the original fuel system has to be changed.

Everything from the directions seems pretty straight forward with the required input to the Tablet included. Input your engine info with a few prompts, get everything installed and ready for start-up and get her going. The computer "Learns" what your engine requires and adapts from there..... That's what it's supposed to do anyway.

Let's see how it goes. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

BroncoMabry

Congrats on making the decision. I can tell how much thought you put into it. I really look forward to seeing how your install goes & how your system performs.

stus70brc

Contributor
I did the E-Street love it! Bc tank Mustang pump did the BC shorty headers two into one

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As soon as the E-Street EFI kit gets here I will lay out the harness and see what will be the best place for the ECU. Then it is off to the exhaust shop to weld in the O2 Bung and install the plug for the drive back.

I am sure on the ride back home the motor as is will drive the best it ever has with the Carb installed.... Just to spite me.

fordfan

Bronco Guru
I will be watching with interest too. Remember to post pictures!

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never happens if we don't post pictures.

I'll try to post as much as possible with each step of the way.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Instead of just waiting for the EFI system to be delivered I decided to do whatever I could to get ahead of the game.

After looking closely at my Stealth Intake Manifold I discovered that I need an additional place for the Temp Sensor for the EFI Computer. There are two holes present on most intakes for water passages. One for the heater hose and the other for the Temp Sender that goes to the Gauge Pod on the dash.

I have many Mustang 5.0L Hard Coolant Lines in the parts bin that have the Computer Temp Sensor Bung already installed in the Heater hose Fitting that goes in the Manifold. (Explorer 5.0L hard Lines are similar) I made the tube on the fitting shorter and re-flared the end for the current heater hose. I figured if the Temp Sensor from the Ford EFI can be installed at this location, then it should also work for Throttle Body EFI.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here is a picture of the Modified Hard Coolant Line with Temp Sensor Bung. This Hard Line Coolant/Heater Hose came off a 5.0L Explorer. Depending on application you may want to not modify at all and use the Original piece.

Decided not to use this for the install.

Attachments

• 69 U14 - Heater Hose Sensor.jpg
    69 U14 - Heater Hose Sensor.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I got the e-Street 3606 Kit from UPS last night. I went through the two boxes and made sure all parts were included and everything was there.

The fuel lines on the Throttle Body are pointing towards the passenger side and initially I wanted to change to the driver's side. But when I changed it around the wiring on one of the sensors would not connect and came up short. I guess I could have modified the wires and extended it, but I decided it was not worth it.

After laying out the harness in the engine bay, it seems the best place to mount the computer is behind the firewall, maybe in the glove box if it will fit. The wire harness splits in two. One section would come out the passenger side firewall and the other could run along inside the back of the firewall and come out an existing hole where the Manual choke currently is. Overall, it should be a fairly straight forward and pretty clean install. Really not much wiring to it.

The Fuel Sump/Pump will go on the Driver's side in the front corner just behind the core support.

I am going to use the Weiand Street Warrior Intake for the EFI. It has an additional Coolant Port for the Temp Sensor which makes things easier and is a little lower for better clearance for the stock hood and make it possible to still use a phenolic spacer if needed. So, I will not be using the modified coolant line pictured above.

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and have some mock up done to show what options I may have.

I will also try to get the O2 sensor bung welded in the passenger side exhaust as well.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have the new intake with Throttle Body and Wire Harness all laid out on the table for mock up and to route wiring. The Computer mounts easily in the Glove Box with the Fuel Pump Relay and Fuse assembly.

It all depends on how you route the Wire Harness, obviously, but it is very close to being direct install for the Early Bronco.

There are only 4 leads that need to be hooked up. Battery Main Power and Ground, Power lead to Relays and a Switched power as well. That's it. The rest of the wire harness is terminated and direct plug in to the Throttle Body, Sensors and EFI Fuel Pump.

I would have posted some pictures earlier but it has been pouring rain here this afternoon.

I will try to get some pictures posted after the rain quits. Hopefully tonight.

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are some pictures for you of the E-Street Bench Mock up.

The Blue tape in the back is where the Rubber Grommets will be in the firewall.

One hole will be passenger side above the heater box and access the back of the Glove Box. The relays and fuses will be mounted on the metal dash frame under the glove box.

The other hole is on the Driver's side where the existing Manual Choke Cable comes out or the Firewall currently. This is where all the Throttle Body Sensor wiring will come out. Again, the firewall is the Blue tape just behind the Rubber Grommet.

I wanted to run the Fuel Pump Wiring here as well, but it came up about a foot short. Fuel Pump Wiring will be in engine compartment just behind intake and go over to the EFI pump mounted on the Driver's side front corner of the engine compartment.

The Tach signal wire goes along the Driver's Side of the intake to the coil. Terminal needed for connection to neg side of coil.

There will be some wiring in the passenger compartment just behind the firewall. (In the pictures this large wire Harness goes behind the Intake)

Power leads go off to the Passenger side to the Battery. (Left in the first picture)

O2 Sensor wire is in between intake and power leads going down to the passenger side exhaust.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 1.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 2.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 3.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 3.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 181
  • 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 4.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 4.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Still have some wires to adjust a little but everything is very close to proper length and should be pretty clean and tidy when installed for good.

Oops, sorry same picture again.

Intake is the Weiand 8124 Street Warrior (similar to the Edelbrock Performer) but it has the additional Water Temp Sensor Port already installed. Also pictured is a 1/4" Phenolic spacer.

The Red plastic piece at the end of the Fuel Rail protects the existing 6AN fitting for the Fuel Line.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 6.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 6.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 5.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Mock - 5.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Heck, just throw a bottle of gas on the bench and run that puppy! ;D

Nice job mocking it all up. Hopefully it'll have the desired results and keep any surprises at bay.
Thanks for keeping us up on current events.

Paul

OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I wish I could run it on the Bench!

Exhaust O2 Bung will be welded in tomorrow.

I have the Firewall Holes already done.

Next is to pull the intake, swap in new one and start putting everything in place for final install.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Here are the two locations on the Firewall for the Harness to come out of. I am trying to keep as much of the harness as hidden as possible.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco EFI Harness Location - 1.jpg
    69 Bronco EFI Harness Location - 1.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 155
  • 69 Bronco = EFI Harness Location - 2.jpg
    69 Bronco = EFI Harness Location - 2.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 149
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The EFI Tank / Pump mounted very nicely in the Driver's side corner of the engine compartment. The Mechanical Pump will pump to the EFI Tank, which acts like an accumulator as well, then the EFI Pump Inside will send High Pressure fuel to the Throttle Body.

Attachments

• 69 Bronco - EFI Fuel Tank - 2.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Fuel Tank - 2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 69 Bronco - EFI Fuel Tank - 1.jpg
    69 Bronco - EFI Fuel Tank - 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
All the Wiring has been put in place and laid out. The only thing that needs to be modified is the wiring to the Fuel Pump, which needs to be extended about a foot.

Like I said before, made to fit great in the Early Bronco as is.