• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Edelbrock Performer Fuel Filter Question..

72SDBRONCO

Loc.
San Diego
I am swapping out my original manifold and carb, and replacing it with an Edelbrock Performer and Edelbrock Carb. I will need to replace and reroute my fuel line a bit, and have a questions re my fuel filter.

I currently run a filter between my tank and fuel pump. Any suggestions if I should just run my new fuel line directly to the new carb (as it has always been) or add the Edelbrock filter at the carb? If I add the Edelbrock filter, get rid of the other filter between the tank and pump, or run 2 filters?

The option I am considering is from Summit, Edelbrock part #8131.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You cant have too many filters. I have one before and after my fuel pump.

Eugene

jckkys

Bronco Guru
With any carburetor, the filter needs to be on or close to the carburetor inlet. Forcing the fuel pump to pull fuel through the filter, is asking for vapor lock. Assuming you plan on buying an AFB, that's only marketed by Edelbrock and designed by Carter. Most were also made by Webber. The fuel inlet is on the rear passenger corner and Ford fuel pumps are in the front driver side. I prefer the most sanitary plumbing to the engine I can manage so I too used the Edelbrock chrome fuel line and filter kit part #8131. Edelbrock made no effort to make the connection compatible with the Ford fuel line. The Edelbrock connection is #6 AN and the Ford fuel pump for EB 289-302s is 5/16" on the outlet. I drilled and tapped the filter inlet to accept a 1/8" NPT adapter, that accepted a 5/16" double flair steel fuel line from the pump. No hoses is the best fire prevention plan. This system has worked for at least 10yrs. with the same filter element.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I never heard of filters causing vapor lock and I can only state my experience. I had napa inline filter before the tank and after the mech pump. It held 6psi. Only time it went down to is when filter in front of tank was clogged up with reddish pasty goo. We are assuming the fuel tank is clean so I guess one filter is good enough. but if you fuel pump cant full fuel through 2 screen filters, you probably need to have that checked out. IMO.

Eugene
PS- this was with my 289.

ET

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Im not here to argue about vapor lock. I just never hear fuel filter causing vapor lock is all. Now if you tell me that true, fine.

Eugene

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
I've been running my filter this way for 15 plus years and have had no issues with it ever leaking. I do replace the lines every time I do a filter change.

Attachments

• new fuel line & filter 004.jpg
    new fuel line & filter 004.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 53
  • new fuel line & filter 001.jpg
    new fuel line & filter 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 46

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Typical carb setup has 2 filters. A coarse inlet sock on the pickup in the fuel tank. A fine filter at the carb inlet.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
A large percentage of the engine fires I saw as a firefighter in the '70s were a result of rubber fuel hoses that cracked. It's probably because the hoses were old, but I can't say I ever saw a steel fuel line that cracked. Loose fittings do leak but that gets fixed fixed right away.