• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI bronco runs great, but idle is a little wacky?

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
dont know, bought a fuel pressure gauge, and didnt realize it only measures up to 10psi...useless, ty it only cost $10.....i will go and buy the right kind, let say fuel pressure is under 40psi(especially if surging), how do I increase it? I have the bcb in tank FP

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
you have to have an adjustable FPR to adjust it. Kirban is a good FPR and the little red one that looks factory is a POS.

you can use a cheap tire gauge on the shrader valve if you want to check the pressure. i would not use any tire gauge that i cared about though. you check the FP at an idle with the vacuum line removed from the FPR.

exhaust leaks and loose or old O2 sensors can cause the lean condition.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
you have to have an adjustable FPR to adjust it. Kirban is a good FPR and the little red one that looks factory is a POS.

you can use a cheap tire gauge on the shrader valve if you want to check the pressure. i would not use any tire gauge that i cared about though. you check the FP at an idle with the vacuum line removed from the FPR.

exhaust leaks and loose or old O2 sensors can cause the lean condition.

Ty Bronco_69 I do appreciate your help, i just bought the Kirban, going to sears tonight to buy FP tester...I'm starting to wonder w/ my cam, since the car idles great at 1000-1100 rpm, the vac is strong, and hence better fuel pressure(ofcourse i wont know until i get a tester on), if thats the case the kirban adjustment should compensate right? and as for lean code, I did have a small exhaust leak where the o2 sensor was, i fixed that, I have not rerun test yet- i have been focusng on fixing idle surge, the o2 sensors are new...need to do a koer test as well

ransil

Bronco Guru
Harbor freight has a Fuel pressure gauge cheap that gets the job done.

OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Seems to be more of an issue with forced induction or cold air kits but numerous forums suggest clocking the MAF to cure some idle surge problems.

Number 8 in the link below about surging idle briefly discusses it.

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/698148-help-me-create-surging-idle-checklist.html

I read this earlier ttoday, doing lots of idle research...i thought about clocking MAF, i have a giant air filter on end of MAF that faces close to battery/cooling fan....i thought about buying a closed face cone filter and a sheild that covers bottom 1/2, i will clock MAF tonight see if it helps, I did change 02 sensor which honestly helped, now the surge is 900 to 1000rpm, again i drove bronco for 1/2 hour and at stop light idled smooth. still need to check fuel pressure, waiting for part to test, also ajustable TPS(in mail), and frankly i still dont think i set base timing correct, would she drive smoth w/o proper setting?

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
I think we are at the point where we are stabbing in the dark until some of your stuff arrives.

I have a cone type filter with nothing blocking it from the fan and don't have an idle problem.

Attachments

• DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 19
  • EFI Side2.JPG
    EFI Side2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
N

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
I think we are at the point where we are stabbing in the dark until some of your stuff arrives.

I have a cone type filter with nothing blocking it from the fan and don't have an idle problem.

yes ur right, i am going to drive her until everything comes, and go thru all issues, tps, FPR, etc...all in all she drives awesome, so at least i am not frustrated....btw where have I seen your bronco before?......RJM webpage?