• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

76 Bronco with EFI not starting

BobL

Hello everyone

Me again with my just purchased restored ‘76 Bronco. She drove well today and suddenly, all I have is power to the radio and gauges, but nothing turns over on the engine, just a humming sound. It has a new 302 engine with EFI (which I honestly do not know much about). Any suggestions? Could something have just unplugged that I am missing (doubt it’s that simple). Any help would be appreciated, fairly frustrated
Bob

Shimmy

Contributor
1977 Bronco
Loc.
Maple Valley
Dang I hate myself

haha! I'm waiting for the "why did my wheels fall off?"

OP, sorry to hear you going thru all this on what sounded like a brand new restored bronco? Where did you get it from? The high end builders offer tech support for their restomods.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Maybe a picture of the engine compartment so we know what EFI you may have?

Have you tried leaving the key in the on position and jumping the starter relay to see if it will spin over > Start? Make sure it is in Park or Neutral.

OP
OP
B

BobL

No haha! I'm waiting for the "why did my wheels fall off?"

OP, sorry to hear you going thru all this on what sounded like a brand new restored bronco? Where did you get it from? The high end builders offer tech support for their restomods.
Ha!!! You guys are awesome, well I guess I am learning. It was restored in FL (not one of the big brands
As soon as I figure out how to post, I will send a pic or two

OP
OP
B

BobL

Maybe a picture of the engine compartment so we know what EFI you may have?

Have you tried leaving the key in the on position and jumping the starter relay to see if it will spin over > Start? Make sure it is in Park or Neutral.
I am on it. Back in a few

OP
OP
B

BobL

Ha!!! You guys are awesome, well I guess I am learning. It was restored in FL (not one of the big brands
As soon as I figure out how to post, I will send a pic or two
The EFI is FITech 3003

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Oh NO. Not in Florida! That can't be good.

OP
OP
B

BobL

So to completely put myself out there, where and what is the starter relay?

helo-mech

Probably on the firewall or wheel well; follow the wire off the positive side of the battery and you should find it fairly easy.

First things first though. You are going to want to follow the link below and become a Contributor. The $12 a year will be well worth you being able to post pictures. Broncos are inherently different, even same years off the same Ford line, so when it comes to troubleshooting you will get much more detailed assistance being able to post pictures.

https://classicbroncos.com/forums/threads/how-to-upload-photos-become-a-contributor.34373/

Below is an old picture of my starter relay (solenoid).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 5.52.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 5.52.02 PM.png
    573.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BobL

Quick update, a mechanic friend came by; looks like either starter relay or one of the wires connecting to the relay may have shorted out being too close to some of the other components

bax

Contributor
Old Member
easy as cake. You will get that fixed in a jiffy.