• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

efi inline fuel filter needed?

riggermortis

Just wondering what everyone else has done. I just bought a 23 gal efi tank with internal pump from wild horses, do I still run a inline filter even though the pump has one on it in the tank?

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Yes you do. All factory applications (that I've seen) run a screen/sock on the intank pump and then a filter inline after the pump.

Tim

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Yes, for an EFI fuel system, you need to use a 10 micron filter or finer. The one for the pump
will pass particles that can easily plug the injectors.

Mark

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
10 microns is the bare minimum, I prefer a 4 micron filter as that is for sure the GM spec and I *think* the Ford spec as well. I use the GM filter because it is super common and uses easy threaded "O-Ring Bump" fittings for the in and the out. The Wix p/n for this filter is 33481.
Summit links to the filter (usually buy it locally) and the -6AN X 16mm O-Ring Bump adapters:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wix-33481
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ear-991955erl

OP
OP
riggermortis

riggermortis

I found a wix part # 33359, it is a spin on filter good down to 4 micron, but can't seem to find a base for it. I would like to use a spin on just cause I'm picky, but if I can't find a good mounting base the those summit part's look like a good option as well. Thanks

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I'll say just go to your local ''GOOD PARTS HOUSE'' and ask them for one they'll all have that wix 33481 .& I expect most will have one that has the bolt onto the frame & spin on you want''. AC made it for chevy truck late 70 ish.. PF SOMETHING . they'll know.
... Well I found one on line & the filter no was TP943 looks like what I was remembering But I didn't find the mounting base.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I posted some p/n's for spin-on filters & bases in Timmy390's thread on fuel lines etc ( I'm pretty sure it was there). One or more of the Sierra (marine) spin-on filters was rated 4 microns and the others are rated 10 microns. There may be Wix p/n's that cross over if you're married to that brand. I've used the Sierra filters for a lot of mile w/o a problem.

I use a 10 miron water separating spin-on now as my carb'd filter. When I get to doing the EFI it will become the pre-filter for the HP pump and the P4070 supply pump will become the lift pump. I plan to follow inTimmy390's foot-steps and make the Sierra filter a fuel reservoir.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
I've always used the stock Ford Mustang filters, they are cheap and stocked everywhere.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
How do they connect to the fuel lines? Can you buy an adapter that goes straight to AN for them?

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
hum, I think that I prefer the threaded fittings of the GM filter. Not from a concern over leaks point of view, but from a repetitive filters R&R longevity point of view. Those little plastic latching tabs aren't inspiring, but its certainly an option and does keep everything "Ford".

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
hum, I think that I prefer the threaded fittings of the GM filter. Not from a concern over leaks point of view, but from a repetitive filters R&R longevity point of view. Those little plastic latching tabs aren't inspiring, but its certainly an option and does keep everything "Ford".

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262551

This thread has a GM filter and AN adapter listed in it.

Tim