• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Recommendation

ruckin69

Contributor
Its not an EFI motor. I have a mechanical fuel pump. I have a stock 302 with the original points distributor. What distributor do you guys like and what do I need to do the swap. Dont't need anything fancy just need it running better then points with an easy install. Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
Thanks but that's not in the budget. I don't use this truck a lot and I just want it running smooth with what it has. I also don't have the tools or mechanical know how to do the swap so that gets expensive paying $100 an hour.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
What is your budget and skill set?

Lowest cost and easiest is probably factory EFI stripped off a junked truck then EFI guy altering the wiring and software. This requires some reasonable skill but not rocket science.

Next up is something like FAST EFI which is about as simple as it gets to install. But it is not cheap but it is well supported.

Absolute minimum cost is MegaSquirt but that takes a ton of skill and time. I did mine for about $550 with a lot of junk yard scrounging but it took a mountain of research and time.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
To run EFI you have to have a high pressure fuel pump. You can't do it with the stock pump.

I would suggest going FiTech. You will need a 4 barrel single plane intake and a high pressure pump. It comes with all the wiring. just a few hookups and you should be ready to roll. $800-1K

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
A bit confused by your post. Are you looking for a complete fuel injection conversion or simply an electronic ignition conversion?

Simplist electronic ignition upgrade is probably the Ford Duraspark II or Pertronix.

Easiest complete fuel injection is probably Holley Sniper right now which will go on your current engine. They have a 2 bbl version.

I’m running stock Ford speed density SEFI on my stock 73 motor. Still a good option for a non-upgraded motor.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Can tell if you want Efi or just a way to get rid of the points
If it s the points look into pertronix at summit , those will help with a lot of challenges
And you won’t need to touch them ever again

MonsterBIlly

You can get a sniper efi kit from a vendor along with the fuel pump and hose kit. You should be able to do this for about 1200.00 total. Then install a HEI style distributor. Its very easy and both have great instructions.
The distributor you can get from ebay for about $60 total. That is what i did and it works fine.

I have used sniper efi, fitech, and atomic efi. I have found the fitech to be the poorest of the 3

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
To get rid of points an hei distributor will get rid of the points and clean up the wiring but buy a good one. The cheap ones have had issues. It can also be tight on hood clearance depending on your set up. Hood clearance is also an issue going efi if you want to use the stock Ford stuff. It can be done but with the right combo of parts.

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Or Petronix at wild horses my bad. Haaa didn’t know wh carried them

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The cheap HEI has a rather high failure rate.
The points eliminator kit generally works very well. don't need to throw everything out just to get a reliable ignition.

Now EFI is a completely different game. A stock distributor is fine for a retrofit kit (Holley Sniper) but if you go with a reclaimed stock EFI you want a completely different distributor (A TFI version that works with the OEM EFI). With the TFI you have to watch the gear material or it will eat the cam. Now you are getting into the complex world of trying to decide which way to go, how much to spend, how handy you are. No matter what you will be doing plumbing to get an electric pump in place and a return line run (there will be a return line even on returnless systems, it is just how the pump/filter works).

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
Best bang for the buck is FiTech or Holley Sniper. I prefer FiTech as I have many in the field running without issues. You will need to add a high pressure fuel pump, try to avoid an external as they eventually will give you problems specially on hot days. In tank pump kits are available to adapt your existing tank etc. but no matter what system you have, it is imperative that your intake and exhaust are verified 100% leak free at the engine and down stream to the muffler otherwise no matter what brand you install you will have run time issues. That is the downfall of a wideband O2 vs a stock system like Steve suggested. Wide bands have no room for leaks as they will detect it.

OP
OP
ruckin69

ruckin69

Contributor
Thanks for the info everyone but it seems like I have bigger issues.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Define “best” in your case.
Does that mean least expensive? Most reliable (as if)? Most factory original? Easiest for shade tree mechanic install? Most plug and play for a shop to install for you?
Lots of variables in your question.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks but that's not in the budget. I don't use this truck a lot and I just want it running smooth with what it has. I also don't have the tools or mechanical know how to do the swap so that gets expensive paying $100 an hour.

But yet, the cheapest most reliable EFI is the explorer swap. Any throttle body efi will end up costing thousands. Sounds like you will be paying to have it done? More than thousands. Best, if you plan to keep it running cheaply, as a part time driver, fix the carb, fuel pump if thats the issue you have now.,

Correction, scrap any idea of adding complexity if you are paying a third party.

Keep the carb, you can do it with our help.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Bumping this since it's been a few years. What's the best EFI for an original 302?
I will take a really wild tangent for "best EFI for a 302". But it will require some serious engine work.
Swap heads with some GM heads. Be sure to crank the compression ratio up to about 12:1 (don't worry, it will work fine with 87 octane)
Still need to figure the fuel pump, but keep the direct inject.

In my book, that would be "best". Great compression ratio, still run cheap gas. Great flowing heads. Confuse people who can't figure what engine it really is.
They make stand alone controllers that will run this.

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Define “best” in your case.
Does that mean least expensive? Most reliable (as if)? Most factory original? Easiest for shade tree mechanic install? Most plug and play for a shop to install for you?
Lots of variables in your question.
100% reliability is the biggest. I'm tired of fighting with the carbs. I'm going to drive it primarily on the road and light trail stuff. I prefer one that I can set up myself. Not many decent shops within driving distance here anyway and the couple I trust are backed up for months. I know it's expensive, especially with the tank, lines etc needed. I simply cannot get reliability from any carb I've run. I'm not going to lie, frustration has set in. I just want it on the road.

Last edited: