• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI Starting Issue

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
I finished my install last weekend and today I was going to fine tune the timing. The engine fired right up and ran smoothly. I disconnected the spout and plugged in the timing light. It started right up again and I proceeded to rotate the distributor a little. I could tell it needed to move clockwise so I turned off the motor and rotated the distibutor a little. Then when I tried to start it cranks but does not start. I put the distributor pretty much back where it was but still no start. Very strange that it was running very nicely and then bam, no start.

I checked the codes and all I get are 81, 82, 84 and 85. I have a fuel pressure gage on the fuel rail and I'm sitting at just about 40 psi. I'm stumped.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
First test drive today and the new HO motor definitely has a lot more torque than the old 302. I'm thinking I'm going to like this EFI swap.

It's shifting a little hard and I had to play with the gas a little to get it to shift into 3rd. Also hearing the fuel pump pretty well in the cab. I wasn't sure what that whinning was at first.

OP
OP
ilovemaui

ilovemaui

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Pacific Moist West
Took her out for a five mile cruise and the engine is running as smooth as a baby's behind. Idles right at 550 rpms when stopped in drive. Jumps up to about 800 rpms in park. Shifting is a lot smoother but noticed going into third is a little inconsistant. Going downhill it waits until about 40 mph where as with a load it shifts closer to 35 mph.

For some reason I'm not getting power to the gas tank sending unit. It had power when I first installed the tank but no power since installing the RJM harness. My temp gauge is not working either. I ground the connection to test and there is power. I'm thinking its the sending unit. The hole in the intake for the sending unit was a larger than the stock unit so I went to the parts store and found one with the right diamater and threads, but I'm thinking its and idiot light unit instead of a gauge unit. Outside of those couple minor issues I am extremely pleased with the EFI HO conversion. Planning to take her out for a 50 mile trip this afternoon.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Don't really have any input to the shifting but I read in another thread that pitting the pedal to the floor while starting shuts off the injectors so maybe you were flodded while adjusting the timing?