• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI - TPS question

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
I am checking all my sensors and wiring in preparation for the install and I just have one issue\question. FOr reference, this is a Explorer motor and I have the RJM Harness

I order a TPS sensor for a 93 Mustang and the connector matches the harness but the other part does not match the throttle body from the explorer. It is too small. did I get the wrong one?

Here is the one I got... #TH18T http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1134098,parttype,5136 should this work and I got the wrong part from the supplier or did I order the wrong one?

I do see this one which looks like it matches the RJM harness and the explorer. Should I exchange for this instead? part #2132689
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1304435,parttype,5136

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The explorer throttle body and TPS changed at some point, probably after '96. The TPS boss became taller and the bolt spacing increased. The earlier mustang TPS fits well on the '96 throttle body. It can be made to fit on the later throttle body by enlarging the mounting holes in the TPS. I can't remember for sure but there may be other issues with the plastic bushing or blade too. Best bet is to use the explorer TPS and change the connector.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
so i have two options. the adapter from rjm w/ shipping is $50

Or i can get the connector from rock auto and splice my harness accordingly. is that what most of you guys do?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I got lucky. I had a mustang TPS and a '96 explorer TB.

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
that seams like i can too but the where the tps hooks up to the tb, it looks smaller like it does make a great connection. i guess i'll order the exp tps and the rjm adaptor, wahats another 50 bucks. sheez

OP
OP
Izzy

Izzy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Texas
Dan,

I ordered and received my harness about a month ago so I'm too late for that.

Needabronco, I went ahead and ordered what I needed earlier today but I appreciate the offer.