• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

EFI upgrade question

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
I have one small question about the EFI upgrade.

I have a stroked 302 (347) in my EB. It has a two barrel carburetor on it now with a C4 behind it. I bought all of the 89-93 Mustang 5.0 fuel injection parts according to http://fordfuelinjection.com/.

Will I need to change the cam, timing chain cover, and or rockers to a roller setup to get this motor to work with the EFI?

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
The cam wouldnt hurt...but isnt necessary. Some folks have run EFI with the older 302 vs 5.0/351W firing order without any problems. Timing cover will need to be removed if you change the cam, otherwise there is no change...unless you plan to run the Mustang Serpentine belt system, in which case you would change the timing cover, water pump, etc...so that everything from the front of the Mustang is on the front of the Bronco so that it all alligns. If you are running a stock mechanical fuel pump, you can put a blocking plate on it, as you wont need it.

Like I said, there are plenty of folks that run EFI with standard stock Bronco front dress (only a cam change)...so dont think that you HAVE to go to Serp.

As far as the roller rockers...I will defer to someone else on this. I dont think so; my understanding is that you can run a hydraulic flat tappet 351W cam (to achieve the proper firing order) and run the EFI intakes and fuel systems without any trouble. Others will chime in I am sure...but I feel very confident on this. If you were to convert to a roller cam and roller rockers, the advantages are that you are freeing up HP and torque lost to friction with a flat tappet cam. The cheapest way to do this is to put in a appropriate 351W cam. The second cheapest way, unless you already have aftermarket heads or pepped-up heads is to go to some stock Mustang heads and swap in an appropriate roller cam...if you do already have soem upgraded heads, you could swap them to roller rockers or just run a 351W cam. Good luck with your EFI swap.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
You don't have to change your timing chain cover to go Serp.
If you have a 3 bolt crank you can just get a 3 to 4 bolt adapter for the pulley and your set.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Serpentine isn't needed for injection.

As for just tossing the EFI stuff on the engine (intake and up) it should work. Cam gear will need to be addressed. The distributor gear is for a roller cam, it will destroy itself and the cam if used on a flat tappet cam.

When you are done you may want to consider a programer for the computer such as a twEECker. There are many differences between your engine and a stock 5.0. Stroker, flat tappet cam, etc.

Cactus killer

Sponsor/Vendor
Correct. Who did your stroker kit? Did they use a roller cam? Is your firing order 302 or 351.The only reason I ask is I am looking into a stroker and if that much work was done to your engine I would think they would have put rollers in it.
I just used the stock 302 cam and put 5.0 EFI on it and it worked just fine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
As for strokers, the 2 big names are Eagle and Scat. I researched this extensivly a couple years back. Even made a point of going to SEMA and asking the reps about the products. The people behind the product sold me on Eagle. Twice I hit each booth and got a different rep. Eagle informed me that all I need is the cast version as I wasn't going to be stupid with it and the kit would be as strong or stronger then the factory block anyway. Talked me out of dreams and into reality and saved me money. Scat didn't really care about the normal stroker stuff. Instead of telling me that H-beam is overkill for what I am doing, they used stupid lines like "we use what we learn in our race kits and use that for our street kits" That tells me nothing, and it came from 2 different reps. But the Eagle reps told me that the lighter rods would save me money, be way stronger then what I need, would rev better due to lighter weight, and generally knew there product line.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
You can use your engine as is w/ no changes, as mentioned you need the correct dist. gear to match either the flat tappet or roller cam. The engine will have slightly better performence w/ a 351 firing order cam or a harness wired for a 302 cam. But many do it w/o and it still works.

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Just to clarify, the mustang 302 and the bronco 302 had slightly different firing orders. The details are explained well here

http://fordfuelinjection.com/index.php?p=92

It's probably best not to mess with the firing order and keep all the left bank injectors on the left bank and right bank on the right. The timing of the injector squirt is a little off but no biggie.

OP
OP
JohnJohn

JohnJohn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Richmond
Thanks guys. I am about to pull my motor and look into what I have. The previous owner did not build the engine but told me it was a 347 stroked 302. I have no idea what cam or heads are on it.

The guy I bought the bronco from is an owner of a automotive service shop so I believe him when he told me it was a 347.