• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Efi?

Punisher

I installed a 5.0 out of a 89 mercury in my bronco but when I when to put antifreeze in it it started coming out the side of the block and there was antifreeze in the oil, I think someone put water in it and it froze. So I pulled all the stuff off the efi motor and put it on the block that was originally in my bronco which is a crate 289. With only about 6k miles on it.
Well it starts and runs great but has little power I think the motor had more power when it was carborated.
My question is did I use the wrong block (289) or do I have other problems?
Let me know what you think.
Should i Try to find a 302 of about the same year as the efi or look at other things with the motor I have?
Thanks.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have other issues EFI doesnt care what engine its on 289 and 302's are so close in size it wont make a differance and power should be about the same. I would think that may you have a timing issue as that can affect power since it seems to run fine otherwise.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Being an '89 I have to ask, speed denisty or mass air?
Also what Mercury? Cougar with an HO engine or town car with regular engine?

Old-Red

Loc.
Chico, CA
First off I know nothing about EFI but am planning on switching over some day. That being said I have been reading up a bit and the information below was from an article published in Bronco Driver and from the Fordfeulinjection.com website and thought it might help.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse2.pdf

"If you must keep your 289 you’ll have to use a Mass Air computer and a budget EFI conversion could cost as little as $650. Remember the early Bronco 289 and 302 had the old firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8); for the best idle quality either swap to a HO cam firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8), or find a EFI system with the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order."

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
First off I know nothing about EFI but am planning on switching over some day. That being said I have been reading up a bit and the information below was from an article published in Bronco Driver and from the Fordfeulinjection.com website and thought it might help.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/Inject_your_horse2.pdf

"If you must keep your 289 you’ll have to use a Mass Air computer and a budget EFI conversion could cost as little as $650. Remember the early Bronco 289 and 302 had the old firing order (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8); for the best idle quality either swap to a HO cam firing order (1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8), or find a EFI system with the 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 firing order."

The injector firing order is not that important.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Injector order isn't that big of a deal

But what I see is a low output EFI but onto another engine that isn't matched for it. With the speed density setup isn't matched to the engine so the tune is off. Idealy that EFI should run as good as it is programmed, so like a stock Grand Marque. We have a less then ideal match of parts.

Now what to do to fix it? I don't have a quick simple answer. Ranges from a DIY tune with a TwEECker or a quarter horse, custom dyno shop tune (which may or may not even be compatable with the computer) to swapping in a MAF and matching computer. MAF is a great equalizer is it doesn't really care about the airlow charistics of the engine, it just neasure the air and adds the fuel needed to match. Speed density is a little more finiky, it looks at manifold pressure and engine speed (and a few other little things), looks at the pre-programmed airflow profile for that engine, takes a pretty good guess at how much air is going in and mixes in the fuel. Your issues are teh airflow isn't matched to the computer and the computer is set up for a very mild engine.

Ranchtruck

The gran marquis may also have the non-HO upper manifold and throttle body. Those are tiny, like the size of the throttle body's on the 3.0l v6's. So that could restrict you down to less than carb'd power.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Should have still been about a 190hp engine no real differance from a near stock 289 if anything the small TB would make lowend response better. But as was said it could be a issue with the speed density programing as its a lot more picky about engine size and cam shaft sizes. So anything other than stock will create some issues.

OP
OP
Punisher

Punisher

The firing orders are the same in both engines so I know it's not that. But I'm about ready to start another bronco. so instead of looking for a motor for it maybe I'll try to find a block that's the same as the efi and us the 289 for the other bronco. see if that helps.