• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Elect Fan manufacures

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am looking for a fan for the Bronco. I am looking for more information. I have looked at Spal and derale. I need more manufactures so I can check them out.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Flex-o-lite.

But my advice is don't look any farther than Spal...I've got a pile of the rest of the brands on a shelf in the shop and its a Spal sitting on my rig.

Crap..let me rephrase that. HAVE I GOT SOME DEALS FOR YOU, Mr. Baxter. Come on over here young man..raht cheer we gots a Flex-o-lite Black Magic with only a few running hours on it..practically new it is. ain't she a beaut?? cost almost 3 hunnert dollars new..but for you..today only..half price. Now right over here..

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
roger i've got a couple spal's here. various sizes. are you looking in from or behind radiator application? how much depth have you got for it to fit if behind?
i have slim line spal and a standard. think they are 14 or 16"?
i also have a NIB rapid cool i think it is.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I am trying to get rid of my belt driven fan. It is not keeping up with the new load of the A/C. So I am wondering. I have room to mount 2 spal 9'' fans (Pushers) in front of the condenser. However I don't think this will cool the radiator. Would it be stupid to mount a puller in back of the radiator to? Will one mess with the other? yeah Fan shroud I know I am getting one made next week but if the electric ones will work I would rather have that.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
roger i've got a couple spal's here. various sizes. are you looking in from or behind radiator application? how much depth have you got for it to fit if behind?
i have slim line spal and a standard. think they are 14 or 16"?
i also have a NIB rapid cool i think it is.

Nick, Spal makes a 9'' slim line that is 2 .05'' thick. 650 cfm. It will just fit behind the grill. I can put 2 of them on the condenser. I am wondering what to do about the radiator. I only have 3'' from the radiator to the nose of the water pump.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Belt driven 7-blade clutch fan with custom shroud and a SPAL pusher is what finally worked for my setup Roger. BUT IIRC you ahve less room between engine and raddy than I do. I had zero luck with any of the pullers although I did not go as far as to try the Taurus fans that draw some really huge current (so much that a lot of guys have to use 'soft start' boxes on them )and by inference therefore push some huge CFMs

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I can't fit a clutch fan. there for I cant run that nice 7 blade HD fan. It only bolts to a clutch. The clutch takes up too much room. I am wondering if fans on the front and back of a radiator will even work/ cool/ move air. I would really like to get rid of the belt driven fan because I cant run a clutch. Direct drive can suck.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Very few fan makers actually make good fans. Most all the numbers are complete BS as they are rated free air, that is no load from something such as a radiator in front of them. Spal is one of the few aftermarket compaanys that makes a fan that can draw air under a load. Another one is http://www.emp-corp.com/products/advanced/components/F11ElectricFan/ but the price is a little high. I do like that they are rated to be submerged.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I run the taurus fan, not quite as much wind coming off as the explorer clutch fan did, but it sure keeps the engine cool, and I don't have a full shroud for it. Loads cheaper than the rest of the market as well. Like Bill stated, I do have a fan relay installed as well.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Very few fan makers actually make good fans. Most all the numbers are complete BS as they are rated free air, that is no load from something such as a radiator in front of them. Spal is one of the few aftermarket compaanys that makes a fan that can draw air under a load. Another one is http://www.emp-corp.com/products/advanced/components/F11ElectricFan/ but the price is a little high. I do like that they are rated to be submerged.

Great link!..now THAT looks like a real fan.

FASTERDAMITT

Loc.
Oceanside
I run a 10" pusher and the Derale 16" puller with ac in the desert. 115 deg here. My engine is bored 30 over 331 stroker with a non lock up AOD trans. The fans keep the temp below 220 most of the time when sitting idleing. Ive seen 230 max in low gear hi reving situations.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Sitting in traffic in the fla heat is going to kill me. I am going to try putting 2 9'' spal fans on the condenser and try and keep the belt driven fan. We will see how that works after the shroud is built.

johnpaulgolf

Loc.
Savannah GA
Ford...

They make a great "Taurus" fan...I just got mine done and love it...112* heat index 101* with 95% humidity...Idle temps were about 160 and high rpm cruising in low got around 190-195ish...yep cheap and looks good covers the whole rad(95% coverage) with its shroud...not bad for $23 pull your own and some fab work to make it fit and got about 2-3 hours total time between the junk yard auto parts store(switch/relay ect.) got about $40 in the whole thing and works great.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
How thick is the Taurus fan set up?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
roger, i tried dual 12" 675 cfm fans on mine several years ago. i had them behind the radiator staggered. don't bother, i got up to 215* on the highway and it never came back down. that was with a .030 over 302.

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
here's mine with explorer serp and bc bronco 3 core radiator. ultimately I'll fab up a custom shroud with stainless to cover 100% of the radiator...

Attachments

• DSC00887 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00887 (Medium).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 59
  • DSC00888 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00888 (Medium).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 53

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru

Attachments

• 100_0413.JPG
    100_0413.JPG