• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric Choke

spieser

Loc.
Shalimar, FL
I need to hook an electric choke. I upgraded top a 3G alt wired like Chuck's diagram. http://www.bcbroncos.com/3ginstall.pdf
I know wiring the choke to the stator is the way, but does a choke just need a ignition switched power source? Why the stator? The company I bought the alt from said use a switched hot wire from the wiper harness.
Any other sugestions? Switched 12 volts okay?

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I used a switched hot... My 12 volt choke didn't like being connected to the alternator.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
What's important is that it only get's juice when the engine is running ... hence the practice of a direct feed from the alternator. The danger in routing thru the ignition is that the key could be turned to the ON or ACCESSORY position without the engine running ... and the electric choke completely opens, and potentially overheats ... and causes a carbeque. I would also install an in-line fuse for protection ... cheap insurance.

Last edited:

c2computer

Loc.
Castle Rock, CO
I think mine is wired to be hot when the key is turned to on. I have the Centech kit. The less on the alternator the better.

OP
OP
spieser

spieser

Loc.
Shalimar, FL
I plan on using a source that is only on when the key is in the ignition position. Not accessory.
Fuse is good idea, what amp fuse would you recommend?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Since carburators were phased out before the 3G came about, I don't think it has the provision for the stator terminal.

The real reason for doing a choke wire to the stator is so the choke opens as the engine is warming up. If the engine stalls, alternator stops, and the choke stops opening.

If you do a keyed 12V to the choke, turn the key on for 5 minutes, then try to start it, the choke will already be opened. That will usually happen only when it is cold outside and you have to work on it for some reason. you will already be pissed since you are now working on a truck in the cold and now it won't start since the choke opened while you worked on it with the key on.

ASE-73

Loc.
Seattle, WA
spieser said:
I plan on using a source that is only on when the key is in the ignition position. Not accessory.
Fuse is good idea, what amp fuse would you recommend?

I would use Ohms Law ... V = I x R ... or I = V / R

You know what the voltage (V) is. Measure the resistance (R) of the choke ... and calculate the current (I). Divide the current (I) by 0.8 for sizing the fuse with a 20% factor.