• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electric vs mechanical fuel pump for carb

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For a race truck. NORRA 1000 Pioneer Class build. Has to be reliable and or redundant. Plumb in an electric pump with pressure regulator in case of mechanical failure? What’s possible and correct? Thanks. If this is a dumb question please don’t trash me I’m very sensitive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I have NO idea if it's legal as per rules but mechanical with an easy to shut off valve to switch to electric with regulator for backup.

If you want totally isolated pumps for not having one part cause your failure like a bad relay that powers let's say both your primary and secondary fuel pumps then having one mech and one elect is the way to go since they wouldn't share anything in the delivery of fuel other than maybe the inlet from the tank and outlet to the engine.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Twin electric pumps in parallel. If you could go so far as to have separate pickups and filters. Run through a check valve before merging into a single feed line.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Awesome. Would a rerun line from the regulator be required?
No rules regarding fuel delivery just no EFI.
I have a fuel cell with dual in tank pumps. Would that work? High pressure for EFI but I assume a regulator would manage that. What pressure works with a carb?

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correction: return line

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I would not over-complicate the fuel system with external regulators and return lines.
How much HP are you expecting?
Years ago I helped a friend with a ski boat. Deleted the screwy fuel system, installed a simple Carter P4070 fuel pump. Could run full throttle until the tank went dry. Internally regulated and could feed a close to 300 HP engine without issue.
The one time it made sense to run an external regulator was on another friends 700 HP drag car.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thinking we may get 450 hp. I want to dyno it when it’s finished.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Mechanical fuel pumps have the reliability of a clock they just keep going. I would choose that 100X when carbureted. NASCAR used mechanical up until a few years ago and those boys know how to break stuff.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
So maybe mechanical with electric backup.

Lawndart

Loc.
Mechanical fuel pumps have the reliability of a clock they just keep going. I would choose that 100X when carbureted. NASCAR used mechanical up until a few years ago and those boys know how to break stuff.
Can you tell me the model/PN???
I do about 8k a year and have to change the mechanical pump yearly...
This salty winter, I will be plumbing in an electrical pump for sure.

OP
OP
M

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Looks like a carburetor bypass regulator is the way to go. Bought an Aeromotive product. Allows two in and two return ports so I can use it with my dual in tank pumps in the fuel cell. Most carbs need 6 PSI but this has a range of 3-20 PSI.