• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical connector identification help.

Reservationcody

Contributor
So far behind I think I’m first
Loc.
Sylva
Bought a 75 model Bronco a few months back and been driving it and going over it as time permits. Today as I was draining the front diff and drinking some beer I started looking around the engine bay. Came across 2 electrical connectors that are not hooked up. It has a painless wiring harness and running a Howell fuel injection for a little extra info. I know y’all will know what they are! Pics for your pleasure.

Thanks in advance!

Cody

Attachments

• IMG_7779.jpeg
    IMG_7779.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7780.jpeg
    IMG_7780.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7781.jpeg
    IMG_7781.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7782.jpeg
    IMG_7782.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 51

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Well, you got me on this one. The first thing I thought of for the first connector, is that it's a side-marker lamp socket. Minus something!
I've never seen the round part, where a bulb socket should go (push-in type bulbs), but the rest of it sure looks like a side-marker socket.
What color are the wires (always critical information when discussing wiring unknowns) and where did you find it?
Do you have working side-marker lamps at all four corners?

The second one I've never seen before. Does not look factory, but by '75 there were lots of additional thingies that were not present on earlier models.
Still, looks added on.
Again, what color are the wires, where do the wires lead, and what is it near?

Paul

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Both look GM, first looks like its for a mushroom top sensor , Knock or coolant senor from th80's..
second looks like its from a electric choke heater,, or a oil pressure sender,, again old school.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'm confused as well. First thought from the background is brake imbalance warning light switch. Maybe a GM prop valve has been swapped in?

OP
OP
Reservationcody

Reservationcody

Contributor
Loc.
Sylva
Got it figured out once I actually took some time to look! The gray connector is for an electric choke. No longer needed since it’s fuel injected now. The other is the brake warning light connector. Thanks for the help as always!

Attachments

• IMG_7785.jpeg
    IMG_7785.jpeg
    134.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_7784.jpeg
    IMG_7784.jpeg
    151.7 KB · Views: 10

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I guess the Painless instructions are designed after the GM style brake balance switch.
The Ford one was completely different, with two wires coming out vertically.
The aftermarket GM generic type has one wire and 90° shape.
Usually has a nice rubber boot around it. Are you running a combination/proportioning valve that uses that switch? New connectors should be relatively easy to find, I would think.

OP
OP
Reservationcody

Reservationcody

Contributor
Loc.
Sylva
I guess the Painless instructions are designed after the GM style brake balance switch.
The Ford one was completely different, with two wires coming out vertically.
The aftermarket GM generic type has one wire and 90° shape.
Usually has a nice rubber boot around it. Are you running a combination/proportioning valve that uses that switch? New connectors should be relatively easy to find, I would think.
The white connector plugged back into the proportioning valve. There was 2 wires that fed into that connector end. The wiring diagram that I took a pic of just showed one. I didn’t spend a lot of time just hooked it back up and went on a test drive in fiat X19 we just finished up!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
When the body side harness has two wires and the valve only has one, you (usually) twist the two together with the one and it should work as intended.