• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Gremlin still no spark

66broncnut

Loc.
St. Robert, Missouri
have now replaced the coil, the rotor, the ignition module(accel 2020 points eliminator kit), the starter solenoid, the ignition switch, bypassed the ballast resistor(tried both with resistor and without) but still no spark, have 12v power to coil with key on and in start position. tested brown wire from solenoid to coil and it tests just fine.
Background is 66 with 302 during recent stereo install I damaged the black/yellow wire at instrument cluster, repaired that damage but now no spark at all, assumed it shorted the module, replaced it and so on.

also yesterday in my frustration I left the key on and walked away, when I returned I smelled burning electronics and found my tach had burned up. is this a product of leaving the key on or another symptom of my Gremlin.

Thanks in advance for the help

rwill

I would think part of the gremlin. I have left key on several times (under an hour)with no ill effect. As to your problem no clue.

thomasmatthew

Loc.
richmond
key on you should have power on both sides of the coil(with a test light ). engine cranking with a test light on the neg side of the coil the test light should blink as the pick up in the dist makes and brakes if no blinky blink you may have a bad pick up coil in the distributor

t120r

I had the exact same problem. 12 volts at the coil, but no spark. Bypassed the distributor to see if that was the problem and no go. I played around for a while and still couldn't get a spark. What I found was my firewall connectors were fubar. 12v doesn't mean you have any current flow. At least that's my theory on it cause it sparks good now with 12v from the battery on a jumper.

cs29ff12

did you use both mounting plates for inside the distributer. when i ut mine in they gave me directions for the 2010 instead of the 2020 directions and 2010 only requires one of the mounting plates