• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical Guru's

nboost

Loc.
Edmond, OK
I am in the process of converting to the Explorer serpentine system. I wired the alternator as described from prior searches on this site. It is also the one BC Bronco has on their website. The green/ red wire that goes to the regulator is the one I wired to the alternator. My question is can I also tap into this wire to power my electrical fuel pump relay?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm. You "might" be able to, but it might depend on the condition of your old wiring too.

Is this an original harness? Wires and covers still in good shape generally? Or have they been butchered, rusted, repaired or generally abused?
Rust can lower the available current and voltage through a particular circuit, so that's why I question it.

Other than that though, if the circuit is in good shape, I can't think of any reason you can't use it if you tap into it nicely.
But you are talking about using it for switching only, on pin #85, correct? Not for pin #30, which would come straight from a stronger battery source and actually continue on to power the fuel pump.
Figure it's yes, but had to ask.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Should be good then.
If I sounded reluctant at first, I'm just in the habit of resisting connecting multiple things to either the ignition positive or the alternator/regulator positive.
Probably just because the old original stuff is so often weak from corrosion and age that I don't want anything to cause them to run with insufficient power to do their primary job.
But with the regulator wire, it's job really doesn't require much in the way of amperage. Just enough to turn the alt/reg on to charge.

However, if you ever have to track down some sort of charging issue, take a close look at your old splice just to make sure it's not corroded or loose.

Paul