• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical power distribution post

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
A recent thread talked about running power to lights, winches, stereos, etc. and running out of room on the Battery side of the starter solenoid. I recently added a 3G and I'm attempting to clean up my rats nest of wires on the fender. I know you can get the Battery cables with a power lead attached to them but I would like to run a Big Aux power Lug with the power fed by a 2 gauge cable off of the solenoid. I have so much crap attached to the solenoid now I can hardly get the nut on and I have the winch going direct to the battery because the post is full. The problem is I cant find a mountable lug for this. I don't need to make it more "ghetto style" with a bunch of wires attached to a rusty bolt all wrapped in a country mile of electrical tape. I want it to be clean looking. Does anyone make something like this? It needs to be big enough that I can attach my winch cables to it. I'm getting ready to add headlight relays as well so that will be another thing to add to the post. Got photos of your set up? What did you use for a lug? Did you buy it or make it?

JWMcCrary

Contributor
Bronco Guru
like this:
https://www.vtewarehouse.com/content/electromech/PDP/html/778Series/778Series.php

I think you would be better off adding a fuse box, if you have a bunch of stuff hanging off the solenoid then it is either not fused, has an inline fuse or a fuse link wire which can be eliminated with a fuse box and clean thing up a bit.

I used one of those, solved the problem with getting 12V to everything but does require fuse links. I ran a heavy cable to the block and then ran a fused wire to a relay for each of the accessories. Ran a smaller wire to switch panel on the dash getting power from a fused source on my paineless harness.

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Yea, thats what I'm looking for but I have not found it locally. The problem I have is the heavy cables, 2 and 4 gauge take up a lot of the space. I have one for the winch, one from the 3G, and the battery cable. Thats what takes up most of the room on the post. Other than that, I think I have 4 other smaller wires hooked up. I guess its not that many things, it just fills the post pretty fast. Maybe a small fuse box if the ticket. I just want to clean it up and keep it safe.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Some of the nicest ones are factory. So a junkyard excursion might yield what you're looking for. Don't know about the newer vehicles, but I love the one on my '79 pickup.
What I like about the factory (as well as some few of the aftermarket ones) are the side protectors that help keep other things away from your power leads. Although, that plastic disc for the one ransil linked to is pretty decent too.
Looks like VTE Warehouse has quite a few to choose from though. Make sure you search their site. Just the minute I spent on the home-page showed me several different solutions to the issue.

Paul

OP
OP
casadejohnson

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Now that I'm looking, I see alot of good options on the internet. my problem is I like to handle before I buy and I'm not patient so I try to find things locally. I'm not going to get to the junkyard this weekend but maybe next.

Pedestrian

Bronco Missionary
Might want to try gettting a combination side post, top post battery. Add as much as you like to the side terminal.