• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Electrical problems / battery problems

G

I just bought a 1970 Bronco. All original, uncut, with only 40k miles on it. However, it has been sitting for over 15 years. I replaced most of the belts & hoses, plugs, battery, oil, filters and installed a new 24 gal gas tank... My issue is that the batterry is not charging and when idling, the headlights flicker as if there is a short somewhere? <br><br>Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start looking for a fix (alternator, regualtor, points, etc)?<br><br>Thanks, :p :p<br><br>Desperate in NJ...<br><br>

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
If it has an old style mechanical regulator it will be on the right side firewall. The old style have contact points in them. If it sat for many years the regulator may be rusted inside. You can try to unscerw the cover and inspect inside for spiderwebs, rust and such. Sometimes you can play with it, clean it, file the points, lube the moving parts, check for broken springs etc. Just a look inside may tell you if at least you need a regulator but sometimes you can make them work with a little TLC with no money out of pocket. This alone by process of elimination may tell you why it's not charging. I would recommend replacing any machanical regulator with an electronic regulator. I've been running a Motorcraft electronic reg. on mine since '91 and it has been very reliable. Just an idea...<br><br>BH

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Start the engine and while it is running pull the positive cable off the battery if it keeps running good. if it stalls the alternator or regulator isnt working to even the minium levels. put the cable back on next with engine off remove the plug to the voltage regulator and put a jumper wire in the plug from terminals a to f the regulator is usually marked by the plug this bypasses the regulator and turns it full on. now start the engine and the amp gauge should go full on and peg the gauge. do not run for more than a second or 2 just enough to prove wether the gauge goes all of the way up or not. if the gauge pegs then the alternator is working fine. if you have a volt meter check the voltage at the battery it should be about 12.5 volts engine not running 13 volts engine running with charged battery and close to 15 with headlights on and engine over 2,000 rpm. if Idle voltage is low make sure the battery terminals are all clean and the grounds are clean and tight . if there is still a problem suspect the voltage regulator.