• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

embarrassing newb question about ignitions...

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
pop open the distrubutor cap and look or look for an ignition module, if it's stock 73 it will have points i believe
they look like this

Attachments

• points.jpg
    points.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 40

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
electronic wil have a two plug "box" on the fender well conecting to the dist. and the harness.

cs_88

Bronco Guru
Just remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb people that ask questions. No worries.;D

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
okay, i'm just gonna spit it out and get it over with.....how can i tell if i have points or electronic ignition?

Also, if it's stock Ford stuff, a points distributor will have only one smallish black wire coming out of it. A Ford Duraspark distributor (found stock on mid-'74 and later trucks) will have 3 wires into a single larg'ish plug.

If it's an aftermarket distributor, like ACCEL, MSD, Pertronix, or others, all bets are off.
A common conversion, if it turns out you don't have points, is the Pertronix Ignitor setup. It would have one red wire coming out of the distributor instead of a black one.

When in doubt, take pictures. That way we all get to take a stab at a puzzle.

Oh, and have you looked and know what you have yet?
Just curious.

Paul

OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
okay, i'm thinking it's got points... anyone know for sure? ?:?

Attachments

• dizzy top.jpg
    dizzy top.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 49
  • dizzy side.jpg
    dizzy side.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
73AnneBoleyn

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
You have points. You can see the points that rides on the distributor cam and a condenser.

except that i have no idea what a distributor cam or condenser is...although i'm guessing that cylindrical thing is the condenser.

thanks guys! y'all rock as always. :cool:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
yeah your pretty much correct, if you want to have fun take the condenser out and charge it up on the battery then hand it to someone making sure they hold both wire and condenser, disclaimer do not do this to people with bad heart;D

Attachments

• dizzy%20side.jpg
    dizzy%20side.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 19

Bitch'nBronco

Contributor
Loose Cannon
Loc.
Ringwood, NJ
Glad you asked, I didnt know what the different parts of a points distributor were, all I knew was that people hate points cuz you gotta maintain 'em. So I got an HEI.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
yeah your pretty much correct, if you want to have fun take the condenser out and charge it up on the battery then hand it to someone making sure they hold both wire and condenser, disclaimer do not do this to people with bad heart;D

I don't know about a battery, I used to charge them up with the coil wire then toss them to people. It's better to have a little distance from them when they realize what you did.;D

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
I don't know about a battery, I used to charge them up with the coil wire then toss them to people. It's better to have a little distance from them when they realize what you did.;D

LOL maybe he used the coil wire, too long ago, toss and run;D