• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Friggin' embarrassing

SeaninSt.Cloud

I agree with the previous posts-just had a similar problem-replaced fuel filters (clear one before fuel pump and another before carb-so I can see gas), replaced fuel pump and took apart carb and cleaned it-about $30 but now I have full fuel filters and no problem. Why put money into a real bank when I have my "bronco bank"?;D Just hope one day I can make a big withdrawal. I try to start with the simplest, cheapest things and work my way up. It solves the problem a lot of times.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Wow lot of answers there ..and think all but one of them are wrong...I not really trying to be a smartass ...But My 72 Bronco did this to us 2 years ago when I took it to New Mexico ...I never did figure out what had happened to mine ....It died several times on the trail but would start when we came back to it ..But the 4th day it wouldn't start the morning we where headed home ..So I LOADED IT ON THE TRAILER with the starter ..I was so sick flue..So about a week after I got home I went to unload it ..had to use the starter to unload it...I with chain and tractor drug it over to the shop ...Get it inside the shop ...IT STARTS RIGHT UP ....an never died again until I PULLED the motor to do my 4BT swap ....
......I never knew what it was ...But I got about as many different ideals...
If you think it could be vapor locking ..Back when I had my parts house a lot of Ford tr. owners would come in in the heat of the summer ..With you issue and cranking after 20 minutes ...We got to telling them if they had the time too put WOODEN CLOTHS PINS on the fuel line ..about a dozen of them ...Old timers sore that it took the heat off the line ..If that fixed it then they were on the right track ..change the fuel pump and then alter the route of the fuel line ...
....None of us ask what ignition it has on it ...That Ford ecu box will leave you setting for about 20 minutes if you don't have a point and condensor set up..
....Those are my guesses ...But post if you figure it out.....

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
Looks like I am going to get to do some wrenching this weekend. The tank on the truck is as old as it is and I have been just waiting for it to fail. I have a lot of things try, thanks for all the suggestions. I'll let y'all know if I figure it out.

For now I'm going to steal some of the wives clothespins.

*keep the suggestions coming, I love options.

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
After you have done all of the above...

Check the coil wire for corrosion where it connects to the distributor cap or coil. Been there, done that one!

4G5

Loc.
Newport News,VA
I wouldn't think that it is getting vapor locked. It takes some serious heat to do that. Not unless your fuel lines are running close to your exhaust.
I had a similar prob. in the past. Mine was just telling me that the fuel pump was getting ready to crap out.

OP
OP
redneckrocky

redneckrocky

Loc.
Austin, TX
So I decided to go all in on this. I am rebuilding the carb, running new fuel line, and new filters. Any tips on the rebuild, something that might trip me up?

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks to all.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Do it one thing at a time so when you fix it you'll know what it was that fixed it ..
I expected to catch hell on them wooden cloths pin ..But I sure had people tell me it worked .........
.....Before you lay into it being vapor lock are you in a hot location ...
Most of my old customer having this problem would always be in the summer when it was in or about the 100 mark..I don't think you going to vapor lock at 80..