• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Emergency Brake Cable Hardware?

f2502011

What hardware is needed at the rear drums for the emergency brake cables? I have a cable on the right side that has a half circle shim keeping it in place. On the left side there’s nothing but it looks like it had a shim at some point. It’s loose because it has nothing to fasten up against. What’s right, correct what parts do I need to fix?

Last edited:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year is your brocco? The cable design is standard factory stuff with the metal jacket and spiral reinforcement. But I don’t recognize those and pieces where they go into the drum backing plates.
If they are indeed stock original, then look inside the drum and you will see that they have multiple fingers that spread out and are used to keep them locked into the drum.

If you can’t move them in and out by hand they are probably OK. But if you can grab the cable and move them at all then something is missing inside.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for pictures by the way. That always helps. Can you get some closer shots of the ends of the cables where they enter the backing plates?

Thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
None. The cable should simply slide through the backing plate & catch. If it's loose, you can add that C-clip to take up some slack, but it shouldn't be necessary. The spring around the cable inside the drum should keep it tight regardless. If not, the drums are either not assembled or not lubed properly. Read this & the NEXT dozen pages:

(click this text)

OP
OP
F

f2502011

1972. I'll get some more pics. Looks like one has a C-clip the other one looks like it had one and has fallen out. It's fairly loose and needs something to tighten it back up.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Definitely one of the nicest undersides ever! Thanks for the pics.
Now what were we talking about?;)

Paul

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
It's fairly loose and needs something to tighten it back up.
Again: the tightness of the cable to the backing plate is NOT determined by the presence of that C-clip/shim. It's determined by the 3 finger clips on the sheath inside the drum, and the proper adjustment & operation of the e-brake cables/mechanisms. We need to see inside the drums, from a few angles.

BTW
There should be a guide for the right cable on the exhaust hanger near the frame, as shown here:

(click this text)

OP
OP
F

f2502011

Again: the tightness of the cable to the backing plate is NOT determined by the presence of that C-clip/shim. It's determined by the 3 finger clips on the sheath inside the drum, and the proper adjustment & operation of the e-brake cables/mechanisms. We need to see inside the drums, from a few angles.

BTW
There should be a guide for the right cable on the exhaust hanger near the frame, as shown here:

(click this text)
The guide for the right cable is there. It’s the left one that’s an issue. I believe the 3 finger clips have flattened out which is why it’s loose and I can pull it out through the hole slightly. I’ll get some inside pics I’ll have to go in anyway to fix the fingers or replace the cable. Also notice in the diagram the cable is supposed to route on the inside of the leaf vs outside but mines outside because of dual exhaust. It would be way too close to the pipe on the inside.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A lot of people have changed, or tried to change over the years, the routing of the cables. Some successfully, some not.
What ends up being a determining factor is that it often becomes a limiter of suspension travel. If routed incorrectly the cable comes up short and stops the heavy suspension from moving.
These are very robust cables right from the factory, but I wonder if that might not be at least one source of the loose issue? Over time with enough yanking the cable anchoring just wore out.

Maybe not, but might be worth checking.

paul

mac0424

Loc.
NY
I can not get mine to mount tightly, how do you secure the cable to the drum backplate? The fingers are not in contact there's a gap., too loose