• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine bay paint

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Hey y’all looking to spray paint my engine bay black. I don’t have a good air compressor so aerosol can is really my best option unless I get an electric spray gun 🤔

What brand have you used and how has it been holding up?

PS… Anyone use John Deere Blitz Black? I’m reading great results with the perfect sheen for that aerosol can.

Thanks!

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I used rubberised under coat as it will stick and not flake off under less than Ideal surface conditions. allot of scrubbing and cleaning necessary. steel wool pads and scotch brite pasa are easy to use around stuff in the way. before you spray go to the thrift store and buy cheep aluminium foil to use as masking paper. easy to wrap around odd ball shapes and stays in place. remove the battery before you start wrapping stuff. flop the hood all the way back and bungee it in place. When your done you will like the results but you will wish you pulled the motor and sprayed it body color like the factory did.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
I used rubberised under coat as it will stick and not flake off under less than Ideal surface conditions. allot of scrubbing and cleaning necessary. steel wool pads and scotch brite pasa are easy to use around stuff in the way. before you spray go to the thrift store and buy cheep aluminium foil to use as masking paper. easy to wrap around odd ball shapes and stays in place. remove the battery before you start wrapping stuff. flop the hood all the way back and bungee it in place. When your done you will like the results but you will wish you pulled the motor and sprayed it body color like the factory did.
Well… I do have the motor pulled 😅

My bronco is white. Do you think rattle can in gloss white will come out nice?

trailerjack

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Central Texas
if you are on a budget, I one time used the rustoleum satin primer / paint in one spray cans. I prepped it the best I could and I think it looked nice, but definitely not show quality.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
One of my local paint shops will load single stage paint in a spray can, I have had good luck with that. I prefer body color in a Bronco engine compartment, my choice...
I repainted one engine compartment black, but that was because the PO that painted it, did it with the engine in place. That was a bastard, as I did a test area with a rattle can, and it lifted the existing paint.
Eastwood makes pretty good paint, love their Chassis paint options... when they will ship it to CA.

Assuming that your White is Wimbledon white? SEM makes that color in a rattle can. Most automotive paint stores carry the SEM brand.
Pic below is single stage in a can.

Attachments

• DSCN5249.JPG
    DSCN5249.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 23
OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
One of my local paint shops will load single stage paint in a spray can, I have had good luck with that. I prefer body color in a Bronco engine compartment, my choice...
I repainted one engine compartment black, but that was because the PO that painted it, did it with the engine in place. That was a bastard, as I did a test area with a rattle can, and it lifted the existing paint.
Eastwood makes pretty good paint, love their Chassis paint options... when they will ship it to CA.

Assuming that your White is Wimbledon white? SEM makes that color in a rattle can. Most automotive paint stores carry the SEM brand.
Pic below is single stage in a can.
That's a good idea. I'll find a local paint shop to see if they can match my white as close as possible.
To be honest Im not sure what color white it is but Wimbledon white seems kind of like an off white and mine is more of a white shade.

I should ask. What did you do for body prep before spray painting it?
Thanks

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The quality of the outcome will be based more on the quality of the prep. If you are painting over dirt and crud, it will look like you painted over dirt and crud. Prep is the key. Spend the hour to protect/remove what shouldn't be painted (wiring harness, washer bottle, solenoid, horn, etc.) and that will make a huge difference in the final outcome.

As for painting the engine bay white on a white Bronco, go for it. With good prep it will come out nice.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Its all the same steps as doing the out side. wash with a good detergent scrubbing in all the nooks and crannies with your wife's tooth brush. rinse well blow dry with compressed air. sand and blend any rough, rusted or scratch areas. prime any bare metal. sand again and then clean with wax and grease remover. then get the paint your going to use , cover everywhere you don't want to paint. then wait for good weather and paint it.

OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
What grit do y’all recommend for sanding? I bought red scotch pads already. Is that enough or should I use something a little more aggressive?

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I think everyone else answered your question, prep is very imortant to the outcome - finished product.

Attachments

• DSCN5205.JPG
    DSCN5205.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCN5224.JPG
    DSCN5224.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20181221_172830290.jpg
    IMG_20181221_172830290.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
SSDDBRONCO

SSDDBRONCO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Los Angeles
Ok looks like I'll have a lot of work to tackle. I went ahead and went to a local paint shop and had them color match my white.
I'll be using 2k spray can paint so hopefully my prep is good enough that the job comes out nice.
Thanks for all the help and recommendations!