• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine dies when not into the throttle

BigOrsnge

Contributor
73, 302, 2 bar carb
It fires up and runs good as long as I'm on the gas. If I hit a hill and coast it dies. Also, it sputters and dies if I floor it while idling.
Carb is two years old. Fuel filter is clean. Timing is ok.
Carb float issue maybe? I'm no carb expert at all, so asking.
Thanks!

jckkys

Bronco Guru
You're describing 2 unrelated issues. The inability to idle would be addressed by both the idle mixture and speed adjustments. An engine dying when hitting accelerator is an accelerator pump circuit issue.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Hi, I would get a carb kit and rebuild it. They come with great instructions and diagrams. Good luck

Ditto. Mine was doing the same. Highly recommend.

After watching youtube vids, I was surprised how easy the rebuild process is, and shocked to see what was inside my carb. Runs like a champ now.

Attachments

• IMG_2772.jpg
    IMG_2772.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2773.jpg
    IMG_2773.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2778.jpg
    IMG_2778.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
BigOrsnge

BigOrsnge

Contributor
Carb is only a little over a year old. Shouldn't really need a rebuild I wouldn't think but again, I'm not a carb guy so I'll pull it and take a look. Thanks!

tatersalad

Bronco Guru
Put a vacuum guage on it and dial in the fuel mixture first. Move a needle out til you get as much vacuum as possible then go to the other and do the same, then slightly try and get a little more vacuum. Now adjust idle up . If your vacuum guage isn't holding steady vacuum and is bouncing around you have a vacuum leak. It's a pretty easy adjustment.

71 CA Bronco

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

X2 - Before you start messing with any adjustments check for vacuum leaks. Look at EVERY line and make sure they are hooked up properly all good and limber. If they are old might be a good time to change all the rubber. I had an issue exactly like this and my vacuum lines where fairly new. I found a rotted vacuum plug at the back of the intake. Replaced that and it ran like a champ thereafter. It took a bit to find it but an Easy fix.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
The accelerator pump circuit is a different concern. If the engine falls flat when the throttle is opened you have to find out why. A rebuild won't address this by itself. First the linkage has to have no slack. In other words you have to be sure the diaphragm is being depressed with any movement of the throttle. Then check for a stream of fuel from the accelerator nozzles in the booster venturis with any movement of the throttle. If not you have to track down the reason. The check ball and or weight may be missing. One or both the nozzles may be, plugged. You haven't disclosed what carburetor you have. The OE carb was a 2100.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you can't get it to idle correctly how do you know the timing is correct?

This also sounds like it could be a timing chain that jumped a tooth or two.