• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Identification help

wepuckett

I have narrowed what engine I have down to either FE or FT.

It has the 5 bolt valve covers and flat bottom for oil pan and a few other details.

What I havn't found is the identification number on the casting to tell me what year it is or what size it was originally. If any one has pics of where to find this or can give me some pointers on where else to look I would be grateful.

Thanks
William

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

Thanks for the help was looking in the wrong place when I was told to look around the starter on the block found it imeadiatly. So here is the code I have
D8VE 6015 A3A 78 Lincoln Engine
7H6 built August 6 1977

Again thanks for the help, still unsure on size will have to get to that later but know that the smallest FE they built was a 331 most common was 352 and if it is a 360 it can easily be made a 390.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

Thanks that is actually one of the sites I found in my research to figure out what type of engine it was to begin with. I need to finish pulling some parts on or under the dash for a trade I am working on of parts. But once I complete that I will probably attempt that. Thanks again.

Quick & Dirty

D8VE 6015 A3A 78 Lincoln Engine
7H6 built August 6 1977

That number would be a 302, but doesn't match the 5 bolt valve covers. A 302 has 6 bolt covers.

From what I've found, that block has the heavier main caps, like the Mexican or HiPo blocks.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

I was actually wondering the same thing after I looked at a few more threads that said it was a 302, not too upsetting at this point as I havn't bought any parts for it, basically why I am asking now so I don't buy the wrong parts and so I know what year it is. I have not removed the heads to see what it looks like under them. I will get pics up in my garage soon. Trying to finish up the research on parts for auto to manual conversion.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

Ok so heres a question and don't get mad but did someone put some adapter plates on the heads so they could bolt on fe valve cover something like what's offered in this link. Pictures would help a lot if you can't post them on here shoot me a pm and I will give you my email.
http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=331

Ok sorry I can't add pics to the forum yet hopping soon all the little things I forget to budget for stop eatting my spare cash up so i can become a full member.

But I did get 3 pics of the engine one of the rear or side the flywheel was on
one of the side and the motor mounts, and one of the front where the oil filter and fuel pump are both on drivers side front of engine they are in my garage under engine for the 1973. If they are not clear or you need further pics to assist me please let me know and I will take them or try to describe it to you.

Thanks
William

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Sent you a pm with my email I will post them here and try and id it if not maybe someone else can

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I'm a little confused by this discussion about FE or FT engines in Lincolns. No Lincolns had FEs or FTs from the factory. The '78 Lincoln Versailles, that was nothing but a glorified Grenada, had a 302. This was not special in any way. Just a run of the mill smog 302.
You also mentioned a low skirt block "flat bottom for oil pan" that's not a feature of 302s. MEL engines ie. 430-462 did have a low skirt, but went out of production in '68.

El Kabong

Contributor
Driving stuff Henry built
What do the heads look like? An FE uses a pretty distinctive looking head. Nothing like a 302. Where most other engines have a flat surface for exhaust manifolds, the FE looks like it sticks out some. Almost looks like part of the exhaust manifold is cast as part of the head. There are other engines with the exhaust side offset, but the FE is also offset on the intake side. The valve cover is over the intake manifold as well. As if part of what would normally be the head is cast in the intake manifold. It won't help between an FE or FT, but it will clarify between those types & other engines.

113_0706_20_z%2Bengine_building%2Bford_fe_390_cl.jpg

Last edited:

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
Very true and that's why I asked for pictures a five bolt valve cover is an fe but the casting numbers he's getting are for a 302 with large main caps basically a Mexican block offered in Lincolns in 78 they just didn't have the same high nickel contain

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm a little confused by this discussion about FE or FT engines in Lincolns. No Lincolns had FEs or FTs from the factory. .

That. And no FTs were ever factory installed in cars or light trucks..and then there is the "minor logistical issue" concerning the fact both the FT and FE were out of production by '78.

I'll join you in being very confused. ;D

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Its a 302 stang is right on with the numbers. The owner cant count or the covers he has dont fit, or both. No pictures I call Shenanigans!!!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
One of the bolts is probably buried in goo and didn't get counted. Everything so far points to it being just another 302, just not the stock one.

OP
OP
W

wepuckett

Its a 302 stang is right on with the numbers. The owner cant count or the covers he has dont fit, or both. No pictures I call Shenanigans!!!

Pics are in my garage and po rebuilt an unknown engine trying to figure out what it is as soon as my computer starts working I will email pics to stang to help me put them in thread it doesn't want to add attachments atm it has been doing this a lot lately very anoying

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
No need to post pics its a 302 no question about it just looked at them but here we go not sure why you only have five valve cover bolts unless one is missing on each side or broken off

Attachments

• IMG_0644.jpg
    IMG_0644.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
W

wepuckett

I want to thank everyone for the help identifying the engine, there was a hidden bolt in the valve cover that I didn't find till I was trying to take them off. It is pretty clean in there and will update pics in my garage for everyone to see.

Thanks
William

badmuttstang

redneck grease monkey
William I will post pics up tomorrow for you can't access them on my phone glad it was all figured out.