• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine Mod Recommendations

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Like AZ said then, low buck but almost 2X the pwr of a stock 302 back in the day is the Exploder - as we are all pushing it on ya! lol

Slap a good tuned carb on it, distributer & looks stock (same block look) just accessory brkts look different, updated everything else (including acc.) and you are in in for peanuts compared to 6K + for a an inexpensive rebuild of your motor with new top end.

I know at least a dozen guys who have slapped in 150-200K mile Exploders in up to 20 yrs ago and they still run perfect. Read up on metric rings, ring pressures, etc & you'll understand why a newer efi engine at 200K miles is like a 40K mile 302 from 1970-but better!

I love instantaneous throttle response and I pay for it but it's what I do so I need the cubes but the Exploder motor will make a huge difference compared to a stock rebuild even with newer style heads... :)

Deal.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
Can this motor be used with the original trans?
Yes with the right flex plate/flywheel. Old engine is 28oz and Explorer is 50oz balance. Engine, Flywheel/flex plate and harmonic balances all have to be the same balance.

You can run the exploere 4x4 trans if you use an external controller.

Tim

71 CA Bronco

If your moving. My recommendation is to keep driving it and enjoy it. Most projects like that take way longer than expected. When you have time Explorer or 351 swap with EFI. :)

OP
OP
C

Cdra8925

Well you guys have successfully convinced me! I’m am going to hopefully get a rebuilt one from a 96 and then just go the carb distributor route. I’m torn on the explorer trans vs original rebuilt c4. This thing probably won’t see the freeway much.

Looking at rebuilt motors, I can get one for around 2500 bucks plus the cost of the intake and dress. How is the stock cam in these explorer motors? Sound decent?

nvrstuk

Contributor
Well you guys have successfully convinced me! I’m am going to hopefully get a rebuilt one from a 96 and then just go the carb distributor route. I’m torn on the explorer trans vs original rebuilt c4. This thing probably won’t see the freeway much.

Looking at rebuilt motors, I can get one for around 2500 bucks plus the cost of the intake and dress. How is the stock cam in these explorer motors? Sound decent?
NIGHT & DAY difference between an archaic C4 and the 4r70w.

Use the 4r70w.

EVERY time you get in it and you drive over 45mph you will thank us. I am not exaggerating at all.

At all... :)

There, I spent more of your money but they are cheap.

Controller is $1200. If you use the Exploder computer, coils, it can control your trans too.

:)

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
second option, troll craigslist for a 5.0 long or shortblock, just make sure your not getting into an exotic mustang strip build.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Don't look at EFI as "extensive wiring mods" - look at it as "a Ford-engineered system that can be dropped in". The more of the system you keep together (trans, fuel pump, emissions controls, etc.), the EASIER it is. The early Bronco has very few wires, so very few to splice into the BETTER/newer/more-reliable/more-versatile Explorer wiring. When I built a '75eB using the wiring from an '88 F150 XLT 5.0L, I only deleted the RABS & a few other minor circuits. I kept the A/C, interval wipers, PW, PL, cruise, courtesy/dome lamps, chime... And I added things like RKE, PAnt, rear defrost, cargo lamps...

(click this text)

nvrstuk

Contributor
Hey guys,

New member here and this place is awesome! I just picked up a 74 Ranger I am doing a frame off resto on. I will be pulling my motor soon to have rebuilt. This thing hasn’t run in 25 years but I am wondering if anybody can give me solid recommendations for a top end combo for some solid performance boost?

I have explored many options with edelbrock e street being a front runner, but am also interested in gt40 heads and a good cam combo as well to save some cash. It will mostly be driven in the city so low end improvements are most desirable. Any input?

Thanks!
As the OP mention in his first post about how it will be used, the Exploder is a great option for his/her town trips but don't think that if you find a 351W that you NEED a carb on it for it to make power... no idea where that came from in post #10.

Bolt on an aftermarket injection system on whether its a TBI or something like a ProFlow or bolt on an aftermarketstd 4bbl intake drilled for injectors. Put injectors and rails on it, slap a MAF on it with an elbow with ProM, or go Moates Qhorse (lots of used ones out there) and you will make tons of HP and still be able to run upside down. :) Even using all the Stang EFI stuff and using a BC Broncos intake adapter you won't lose any noticeable HP unless you are running high rpms. A buddy of mine used it on his 393 stroker and I'm sure he lost some air flow the thing hauls butt, much more noticeable power than any 351W without "choked down" intake ports.
I agree and mentioned earlier that a carb is a great way to go for street use- Qjet is a great option like mentioned.

Lot's of decisions and lot's of free advice (some conflicting) from us all too! LOL

Once again, have fun and good luck collecting all your parts and putting it all together!

Last edited: