• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine problems and questions

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
i have a 66 with a 289 and a c4.i just put a 3.5" lift with some 35's on it and when i took off for its test run i blew oil all out of the engine and also had a light smell of gas when i sniffed the breather cap (not sure where the oil came from just seen it dripping out the bottom of the bell housing after i pulled over from the smoke)and it felt like i was pulling a train behind me(which im assuming is a gear issue)
question 1 fix the old 289 and change the gears
question 2 buy an fresh rebuilt 302 ho for 1k (400+hp)and would this bolt up to my c4 or would i need a new tranny
question 3 buy a fresh rebuilt 351 with a c6 2k .(i would lose my 3 on the tree with this option which i like the manual)
would i lose my 4x4 option with changing to these?
thanks for any help

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'd guess that your fuel pump diaphragm has sprung a leak and is filling the crank case with gas. Check your oil level and see if its thinned out and smells like gas.. If it has dont run the engine anymore change the fuel pump and the oil. then you can run it.
Most likely you do have a gearing issue especailly if you have 3.50 gears and the 3sp. in that case No matter what you will need to swap gears.
As for engines well the 351W would be the best choice. the HO engine will have different balance requirements so extra parts will be needed flex plate/flywheeland front balancer unless you go with the existing acessories on the 5.0.
Tranny is up to you they can both be adapted to the transfer case so you wont lose 4wd but you will need to buy a adapter. Firgure $500 or so for a new adapter for either setup. C6 is long and may require driveshaft mods. but if you already have a bronco C4 then its bascally a boltin deal.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I'd guess that your fuel pump diaphragm has sprung a leak and is filling the crank gas with gas. Check your oil level and see if its thinned out and smells like gas.. If it has dont run the engine anymore change the fuel pump and the oil. then you can run it.
Most likely you do have a gearing issue especailly if you have 3.50 gears and the 3sp. in that case No matter what you will need to swap gears.
As for engines well the 351W would be the best choice. the HO engine will have different balance requirements so extra parts will be needed flex plate/flywheeland front balancer unless you go with the existing acessories on the 5.0.
Tranny is up to you they can both be adapted to the transfer case so you wont lose 4wd but you will need to buy a adapter. Firgure $500 or so for a new adapter for either setup. C6 is long and may require driveshaft mods. but if you already have a bronco C4 then its bascally a boltin deal.

X2, my thoughts as well

OP
OP
N

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
302 HO will bolt right up. It would take a lot to get 400 hp out of it though. I doubt $1000 would do it.
this engine was built 5 yrs ago by a fellow who built a lot of high hp ford motors
and has since past.well his son has this one left in the basement and doesnt really need the money.i think this engine is the real deal.but will it bolt up to my c4?

I'd guess that your fuel pump diaphragm has sprung a leak and is filling the crank gas with gas. Check your oil level and see if its thinned out and smells like gas.

it does look a little thin and has a light smell of gas.the breather cap had a little white foam that smelled like gas/oil.i just replaced my fuel pump less than 50 mi ago.not saying it didnt spring a leak but what about the carb?

will the 351 bolt up to my c4?

how do i find out what gears i got?what gears do i need?
i plan on fixing this truck up right and keeping it forever as mostly around town driving with some trails on weekends.thanks for all the advise

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
While the 400 hp 5.0 will bolt right up there are issues as I mentioned earlier all can be overcome. But a 400 hp 302 is not a very good engine for a bronco unless your racing. Your goimg to need even more axle gearing to keep that engine in its power band.

I doubt its the carb flooding the engine if it was the engine would die and maybe even hydrolock from to much fuel in the cylinders. If the oil is not that thin check the oil level then crank it up and run it for awhile see if the oil level changes that will tell you if there is gas getting into the oil from the fuel pump. Keep a fire extinguisher handy.
A 351W will bolt up to the C4 you can even use the flexplate off your 302.
As for checking gears well firs you can check the VIN tag there will be a axle code. you can post that up here and someone will tell you what it came with from the factory. Now to double check it your going to have to jack up the rear axle one tire if open diff both if you have a locker. If you have a open diff turn the tire one turn while counting the number of times the driveshaft spins then multipy by 2 that will be the ratio. If you have a locker then do the same except you dont have to multipy just count the driveshaft turns.
As for deteriming what gears you need well that kinda depends on useage. but usually 4.56 or 4.88 gears are about where you want to be.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
i have a 66 with a 289 and a c4...

i have 3 on the tree.dont know whats factory on this rig

OK, now I am really confused. Your first post states a C4. That would be a swapped in automatic. Then your last post you state a 3-speed manual which was the only transmission offering in '67. The C4 wouldn't surprise me, LOTS of them have ben swapped over the years. It is a 3-speed automatic, and can be column shifted.

Let me idiotproof the question. Do you have to use a clutch peal to drive it?

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
OK, now I am really confused. Your first post states a C4. That would be a swapped in automatic. Then your last post you state a 3-speed manual which was the only transmission offering in '67. The C4 wouldn't surprise me, LOTS of them have ben swapped over the years. It is a 3-speed automatic, and can be column shifted.

Let me idiotproof the question. Do you have to use a clutch peal to drive it?

Haha:eek:;)

OP
OP
N

NO BS

Loc.
durham,nc
yes i have a clutch.i was told its a 66 with a 289 and a c4 trans.hell for all i know its a 71 with a 302 and a c4.if i knew what i was doing i wouldnt be asking these questions id be the jack wagon saying HAHA

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Awe now we just havin fun with ya.C4 is an AUTO no (manual)clutch.

Gerbow

Loc.
Jacksonville
So theres no hard feelings Jack,;);D I was laughing at bowshers post. Were all here to help each other and have a good time.
Now get some pics posted up so we can see your ride.
Welcome to the site n congrats on the ride.

Bronco717274

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tremont, Ms.
If your seeing white foam in the oil that's not gas. White foam means moisture from somewhere check your water level in radiator. Oil from bellhousing means you have a rear main seal starting to leak. Smoke is from clutch trying to turn those 35's need to adjust or get a new one. You need to fix rear main seal or you'll get oil on new clutch and it will slip also and you need to regear both front and rear axles or you will burn up the new clutch as well.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Hay thats a real nice 73 CJ stang over in your gallery,Bronco looks good too.

hc