• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine running hot.

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Good morning all, I was driving back from my annual trek over to Martha's Vineyard a few weeks ago, about 1/2 home I looked down and my temp gauge was pegged at 230. YIKES. I made it home, only to open the hood up and the coolent in the resovoir take was freaking boiling. Even I figured this was a problem. I have a 2 year old alum radiator, belts look good. I am assuming that I have a bad thermostate. I am looking for input on replacing it, and what you suggest for temp. Seems like a lot are suggesting 180-185. Another catch is I just restored a 58 Shasta, it's pained the same as my Bronco, looks very cool. I plan on towing it on shorter trips with the Bronco. Do, you think I will need an additional oil cooler?

TheLimeRanger

I have a 180 degree in mine. Assuming that my gauge is correct (lmao) I have touched a hair over 200 stopped in traffic on a hot day.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
Being that you've had no previous symptoms, I'd say the thermostat is the logical place to start.
I've towed our 15' camp trailer quite a bit and haven't felt the need to use an engine oil cooler.

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
How long have you had the Bronco? How often do you make trips like this? Have you had any work done since the last trip like this? Was the coolant full before you left?

A thermostat could be the problem. Just trying to rule out anything else (like being left with low coolant level before starting) that may have caused it.

And what are you running for a cooling fan? Broncos are touchy about having proper airflow.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And how is your engine running? Does it feel exactly the same as before?
The timing could have slipped a little bit if you’re still running points.
What year is your bronco and does it have electronic ignition, or points?

OP
OP
gityup68

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Being that you've had no previous symptoms, I'd say the thermostat is the logical place to start.
I've towed our 15' camp trailer quite a bit and haven't felt the need to use an engine oil cooler.
Good news on the camper. I have restored a 58 Shasta. Looking forward to pulling it with the Bronco. I agree that it's probably a good place to start with the Thermostat.

OP
OP
gityup68

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Good points, I plan on spending the day on Tuesday going over all possible issues.

OP
OP
gityup68

gityup68

Loc.
Western Mass
Runs great, have had it for 20 years. Never had this issue. Will do some diggin