• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engine to Frame Ground Strap??

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
I'm not sure I've ever seen an original, I thought they were a flat copper braid
about 1/2" wide and about 8"-10" long, with a big ring terminal on each end. 2 of mine had a cobbled up battery ground cable.

Where can I get a pretty, original one???:cool: :cool: Any help appreciated.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
part store has them in many different lengths.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Go to the battery store kind of places like A1 battery or whoever carries Interstate batteries, they have the nice straps.

Chethair

Loc.
Talbott, Tn
Sometimes the braided ground straps are kept in the help section of the chain parts store. That is where I found mine when I had to replace it.

OP
OP
NGABronco

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Thank guys, Bronco Brian hit the home run, took that number to NAPA, they didn't have that #, but they had 711699 10ga, 16" long. It will work and look original!!:cool: :cool:
Thanks!!

Z Bronco

Bronco Guru
My bronco is missing all its ground straps, where on the frame is the original strap connected? Sorry, for the slight hijack.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Thank guys, Bronco Brian hit the home run, took that number to NAPA, they didn't have that #, but they had 711699 10ga, 16" long. It will work and look original!!:cool: :cool:
Thanks!!

Glad I could help double checked my # and it still is a 711899 must be an update #er

ugly74

Bronco abuser
My bronco is missing all its ground straps, where on the frame is the original strap connected? Sorry, for the slight hijack.

I run my negative battery cable to the frame, a strap from there to the front of the engine block, and then one from the firewall to the frame.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer

There is no original strap from the frame to anything. Only a few things are even grounded to the frame. Rear lights, rear fuel sender; all low current. It's easy enough to get that little current through the body bolts and u-joints.

I added a 2 gauge cable from frame to block and battery because my winch is grounded to the frame. That much current would kill the u-joints.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
These are all original ground wires.

1. Engine block near alt to battery.
2. Alt to regulator body.
3. Driver side rocker cover to body.
4. A few under the dash.
5. Wiper motor to windshield frame.
6. A couple on rad core support for lights.
7. The ones I already mentioned.

behemoth

Bronco Guru
On both of the 72s that I have now there was a ground strap hanging off of the frame near the charcol canister. I was not able to confirm where the other end went as both had engine replacements done at some point. So I figured it was a frame to block. They also had a ground strap from the back of the block to the fire wall.

Not stating that this was original, just both had these straps.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Purchased two Braided tincoated copper grouding straps from Summit. I installed one from the engine head grounding stud to the Frame (drivers side) and one from the engine grounding stud (drivers side)to the body. Then I grounded the Battery to the engine grouding stud by the alternator. Everything works great.

d.c.parris

Loc.
cumming ga.
ben my bronco came from the factory with a 4 gauge neg battery cable that went from the bat to a bolt on the front of the block and had a lug about 10 inches from the battery bolted to the fender well there was not any braided cables on it my 72 was the same way. there was nothing from the engine to the firewall

OP
OP
NGABronco

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
Hey d.c. I think I have come upon another one of those "what day of the week was it built" questions!!! I've change my mind about my question 3
times, hell I'm gonna go out there and put ground straps on everything and 2 lighting rods on that sucker!!!;D ;D

Them boys at Ford knew we'd be scratching our heads!!

There's a wall in a science bldg. at UGA that has a Coke bottle 8 blocks right of the door and 4 blocks up from the floor. I know!!!;D ;D