• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Engineers and examples: 2 crossmembers needed with 4 speed Atlas or Titan and NP205

TAC71

Contributor
Hey Brian. I actually have 3 mount points on my 203 D 20 setup. One under the standard spot on the ZF and 2 mounts on the back of the D20 . Didn't feel happy with a 203 and D20 hanging off the back of the trans case. All 3 mounts are on a tubular cradle with 5 solid mount points on the frame. The cradle tubes snake around the underside of the trans and T cases.
You know how long I have been running this setup.....ZERO problems.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I was actually going to text you today... :)

Thanks!!

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Yeah...no adapter plate for my install, I can't afford to put any kind of spacer in to increase the length of my drivetrain, so it's the back of the trans or the back of the 205... or back to both...

I'll do some more figuring... I still like whatever I can do to support the Titan and 205...

Thanks for the link Todd.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Much appreciated Gary!

OX1

Bronco Guru
What I did on C6/blackbox/205. Never finished rig, can't say on durability or even if "over cross-membered"...........

DCP04411a.jpg

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
do you have room to add a tube between the PTO cover and mount on the transmission? and then a mount to that tube under the doubler? That would be my personal choice, and if space is tight make it out of plate to skinny it up more.

OX1

Bronco Guru
I think if you do the back of trans X-member, and then only side mount like this.
DCP04405a.jpg

That is very close to how 205 was mounted from factory. (granted my side mount is much more
restrctive than factory mount, that had two huge thick rubber bushings).

Last edited:

Digger556

What I did on C6/blackbox/205. Never finished rig, can't say on durability or even if "over cross-membered"...........

DCP04411a.jpg

No offense intended here, but that is what you don't want to do.

As the frame flexes, it will try twisting the whole drivetrain, like wringing a towel. Something will eventually have to give. Hopefully it will just be a mount and not a tail housing or T-case.

The frame also bows up and down quite a bit under normal driving. With 5 pts of contact, the drivetrain is now part of the frame structure. Since the drivetrain is much stiffer than than frame, it will take most of the bending load until something breaks.

OX1

Bronco Guru
No offense intended here, but that is what you don't want to do.

As the frame flexes, it will try twisting the whole drivetrain, like wringing a towel. Something will eventually have to give. Hopefully it will just be a mount and not a tail housing or T-case.

The frame also bows up and down quite a bit under normal driving. With 5 pts of contact, the drivetrain is now part of the frame structure. Since the drivetrain is much stiffer than than frame, it will take most of the bending load until something breaks.

I hear ya, but my buddy on his 89 (460EFI/C6/203/205) on 42's has had this setup exactly like this for 13 years (very hard core crawling use). Probably a little more forgiving in FSB frame being wider, but otherwise no issues. So while I generally agree with your points, I just copied what has already worked.........

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Look at Ox1's front trans mount.

Use the same bushing in the same plane "centered under the main shaft under the center of the rear 205 shaft by using a plate off the rear output housing (using 5 or more of the mounting bolts to spread load) that allows the same type of bushing used off the rear of the trans mount, preferably at the same height relative to the frame so the torque/twisting load is the same under load.

Unless I can twist tubing into a beautiful pretzel like Gary did, this is the best I can come up with...

Steve- I'm having a tough time visualizing what you suggested... (maybe I need another cup of coffee this am). :)

Is the mount in the pic attached strong enough and/or close enough to the same type of bushing/mount used for the rear of the 4r70w to make the load between the two close enough to not cause carnage?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191027-082010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191027-082010_Gallery.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 63

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
This is a horrible drawing but it might help. the red is the bridge between the mounts and the yellow is the crossmember

Attachments

• 47D2234F-01F1-4009-9A55-FC4DBB43E9EA.jpg
    47D2234F-01F1-4009-9A55-FC4DBB43E9EA.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
With or w/o the upper drivers side 205 mount?

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
without the upper mount. If space is really tight I'd do just the one on the output like above before I'd add more mounts. the issue is frame flex and a triangle deals with that very well without inducing more bind on parts that are very strong but do not like being bent.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
build a cage supporting both tranny and transfer, effectively making them one unit, then devise a mount from that to the frame. Walla. By cage I mean no poly bushings, use solid metal to metal on the cage, then poly or rubber from the cage to the frame. Walla again.
This is exactly what a friend did when he put a Corolla GTS engine/trans in a Samurai. Intermediate drive-shaft was built from 4 companion flanges and 2 U-J's. When he had the trans mounted separately from the Sami's divorced t/c ANY twist, regardless of source, made for really bad vibes. Building structure to mount the t/c to the engine-trans, and THEN mounting that to the frame via a elastometric bushing eliminated 90%+ of the vibes.

Lars, Digger, & Yeller are all saying the same thing that I will say, ONE trans mount. Combined with the two engine mounts you have 3 points. Which defines a plane. Can twist the snot out of the frame in any direction and you can't put any torque on the engine-trans-t/c combo. Add even one more mount and now you can, and when you do you break stuff. If you do, and you don't break stuff then one of those mounts is very compliant. Enough so that I'd wonder what it's really doing.