• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ever had the speedo affect a voltmeter?

Jfryjfry

I just rebuilt the whole rig and put in a voltmeter in place of the old ammeter. We put very few miles on it with the ammeter after reviving it from its 10-year-slumber. I frankly don’t think I looked at the ammeter more than one or two times in the 5 times we drove it pre-tear down.

So I don’t know if it did this before, but I noticed a very strange occurrence and wondered if anyone else had ever seen this:

As the speedo drive cable turns, the voltmeter needle pulses. At freeway speed it just vibrates. When going 5mph it slowly pulses. It also jumps with the turn signal which was unexpected as I pulled the signal wire from a wire I thought would be pretty isolated. I believe I tapped into (properly spliced into) a wire I ran under the dash directly from the battery.

I have another voltmeter that is a little digital guy that is part of my usb plug outlet and it reads a little higher than the gauge but doesn’t seem to fluctuate.

Has anyone ever seen this? I’m thinking about taping a metal shield around the cable at the back of the gauge to isolate any emi it might be generating but wondered if anyone else had ran into it.

Last edited:

SHX669

Bronco Guru
My voltmeter is wired directly from the fuse box ( painless ) and it pulses with the turn signal - at idle - but holds steady at anything over 1000 or so rpm .
Maybe you have an alternator or regulator issue - ?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have one from a vendor and it bounces a lot. I think it’s the design of the volt meter
Bounces when at idle all the time except around 2000 rpm with a steady charge or sweet spot from the alternator 3g system
I believe it’s the construction of the voltmeter. The speedo doesn’t put off any current, you can unhook the speedo cable and check. I am really disappointed in the voltmeter that I got

Ratclge

voltmeter needle dances

Mine does the same thing,it came from wild horse. If anyone finds a fix share it with me

EricLar80

Bronco Guru
I am wondering if your speedo housing is grounded? Should be through the dash, but maybe you can try to be more deliberate with a grounding point.