• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust input wanted - Quiet mellow sound desired

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
Check this muffler out. It is very quiet until you step on it (WOT basically) and then a valve opens up all the way letting her roar. I am also looking at a new exhaust right now and my muffler guy said these are very quiet until you go WOT and then they really open up. I am seriously considering putting a set of these on mine. This reminds of what Broncobowsher rigged up himself.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
There are a couple of threads where I posted pics of the exhaust I did on my truck. I had purchased WH shorties and most muffler shops were in the $350-400 or more range with regular aluminized exhaust pipe.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120114

SO, for about $300, I bought a couple of SS Us, Js and two 6" sticks of straight SS tube, all the hangers, and several of the fancy pinch clamps/flanges for making the system modular (not in pics) and pieced mine together with the largest Magnaflow I could find 2.5" in and 2.5 " out (center/offset). http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8335

I used my MIG with SS wire (dont recall the grade) but it was about $25 or so for a 5 lb spool. Used regular 80/20 mix and it welded fine. It sounds good, isnt loud, but growls nicely when you give it throttle.

Its not pretty, but everything is equal or above the frame rail. Its all SS...so hopefully, it will last for a while. I found a couple of pics of post-fitting and welding, but not totally cleaned-up. I didnt try to go for show...not too much about that. Function. The only thing I would change about it--which I still may is the exit. Straight out the back sends the exhaust plume into the eddy that the Bronco creates, with side windows in and no rear window, the exhaust will come in. With no side windows, you can still get a bit of exhaust smell, but its not bad, depends on speeds, windows (up/down), etc. Angling the exit the rear corner near the tire seems to work for many....one of these days I'll get around to it.

Previously, I had a set of true duals...L&L Ultraflow headers, SS Flowmaster Delt 50s, aluminized pipe, 2.5" all the way out. It was very loud, very aggressive. I am much more pleased with the new system--which is still rumbling on a buddy's rig...I prefer stealth these days.

Good luck.

Attachments

• P1010051.jpg
    P1010051.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010053.jpg
    P1010053.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

nrramse

Check this muffler out. It is very quiet until you step on it (WOT basically) and then a valve opens up all the way letting her roar. I am also looking at a new exhaust right now and my muffler guy said these are very quiet until you go WOT and then they really open up. I am seriously considering putting a set of these on mine. This reminds of what Broncobowsher rigged up himself.

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=vt

I like that, but does anyone sell one closer to Broncobowsher's design where the diverter is manually controlled?

Newll

robofig

There are a couple of threads where I posted pics of the exhaust I did on my truck. I had purchased WH shorties and most muffler shops were in the $350-400 or more range with regular aluminized exhaust pipe.
http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120114

SO, for about $300, I bought a couple of SS Us, Js and two 6" sticks of straight SS tube, all the hangers, and several of the fancy pinch clamps/flanges for making the system modular (not in pics) and pieced mine together with the largest Magnaflow I could find 2.5" in and 2.5 " out (center/offset). http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=8335

I used my MIG with SS wire (dont recall the grade) but it was about $25 or so for a 5 lb spool. Used regular 80/20 mix and it welded fine. It sounds good, isnt loud, but growls nicely when you give it throttle.

Its not pretty, but everything is equal or above the frame rail. Its all SS...so hopefully, it will last for a while. I found a couple of pics of post-fitting and welding, but not totally cleaned-up. I didnt try to go for show...not too much about that. Function. The only thing I would change about it--which I still may is the exit. Straight out the back sends the exhaust plume into the eddy that the Bronco creates, with side windows in and no rear window, the exhaust will come in. With no side windows, you can still get a bit of exhaust smell, but its not bad, depends on speeds, windows (up/down), etc. Angling the exit the rear corner near the tire seems to work for many....one of these days I'll get around to it.

Previously, I had a set of true duals...L&L Ultraflow headers, SS Flowmaster Delt 50s, aluminized pipe, 2.5" all the way out. It was very loud, very aggressive. I am much more pleased with the new system--which is still rumbling on a buddy's rig...I prefer stealth these days.

Good luck.

The local muffler shop wanted $650 for a 2 into 1 with a Dynomax muffler.

So, I made my own. Two 4' sticks of 2.5" tubing, 4 U bends, 2 header flanges, and a Dynomax muffler out of the jegs catalog.

A 12 pack of beer and a saturday, done. Cost $170 bucks.

chuckinphx

Loc.
phx
found a 2 into 1 b & b ( billy boat) on a totalled escalade hacked off 15 $ had shop bend tubes and install muffler 175.00. no too loud have to really be high in the revs for it to be loud,, nice and low tone at idle..

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
Y before muffler or use muffler as 2 into 1 collector.

When going to a 2-1 exhaust system, is it better to tie the two together before you get to the muffler, or can you use the muffler as the 2-1 collector? Pros/Cons?

Thanks.
-Robert

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Never heard any definitive info either way. The fine-tuning principals may vary slightly (for a total custom job), but the basic goal is achieved through either method.
Would definitely be interested in hearing others experiences.

Paul

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
When going to a 2-1 exhaust system, is it better to tie the two together before you get to the muffler, or can you use the muffler as the 2-1 collector? Pros/Cons?

Thanks.
-Robert

I thought about this alot and, for me, it came down to the fact that it became more difficult to plumb into a 2 into 1 muffler (more tube, more complicated bends, lack of simplicity and possibly more difficult to get everything alligned). Otherwise, I think its a wash, performance-wise.

Ratch

Contributor
I ran Hooker 2 piece set on my 73, 2.5''true dual with 18" (I think) dynomax turbos. cost me like $15 a piece from napa at the time (1994). I dropped it off at the exhaust shop on way to work (interesting trip with open headers), had a buddy take me to pick it up at lunch. He had a nice 79 z28, had just spent like $100 a piece for flowmasters. (again, 1994, flowmasters were all the rage) He followed me back to work and said he loved the sound. He asked me what the mufflers cost and about choked when i told him. Sorry bout the long post but i love telling the story. Any time you show up a chebby guy, car or truck, its great for a laugh.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA

Thanks.
-Robert

I was going to do a crossover but when I looked inside my BC broncos 2 into 1 it was already done, moot point.