• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Exhaust wraps for heat shielding.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Only a few hgours on mine, wrap starts after headers flange, all the way to abeam fuel tank, with special high heat deflectors around d20 and tank. Material has not even begun to smoke.

1970 Palmer

I cannot answer your question specifically about using them on a Bronco.

But I have experienced taking exhaust wrap off of several motorcycle headers. The wrap seems to hold moister and rust out the exhaust pipes very quickly. I have used ceramic coating (the 1500 degree stuff) on my hot rod roadster exhaust with good results. It had a closed three piece unvented hood and I was concerned about burning off the paint on the hood sides. The ceramic semi black looked just like brand new after ten years and I never had burning paint on my side hoods which were very close to the headers. My powder coater also does the high temp exhaust and piston coatings.

Maybe try some DEI exhaust blanket but leave an air space?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Correct do not wrap a header, stainless exhaust pipe? I'm OK with.

darrell82

I wrapped my long tube headers a month ago and I liked the results. At first I did it for aesthetics as I didn’t like the way my headers looked. They had a little rust on them from when I bought the Bronco 5 years ago. The heat in the engine bay has gone down significantly. About them holding moisture, my Bronco is garage kept so no issues there and I normally don’t drive in the rain or when it’s wet out. And if The engine is running and the headers are hot any moisture on them would be nonexistent as I pull it back into my garage. When it’s time for new headers I’ll probably go with ceramic coated headers but, only if it has the same heat shielding effects.
5a40475a141b8b2963bdba38068d0f44.jpg

49d1337e67a793ceb346989a05fb9b7d.jpg

76cafcf7da6044f2fa172a916a280728.jpg

2689286dffa99727ecb318b13f1ce6ea.jpg

ad7272de3f0a2d6b69e4be4daeb07f96.jpg

5e3f880302cae292754c8b467ce812b6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martinphoto

I bought a set of used long tube headers a few years ago that were wrapped for $50. Got them home and set them aside for almost a year. When I was ready to put them on I unwrapped them to paint and found several tubes with holes rusted clean through. Bad enough I scrapped them. Luckily was only a $50 lesson learned.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I wrapped a collector once, really close to a transmission pan. So close you had to clock the collector bolt to clear the transmission. Was running aluminum collector gaskets which worked. The unwrapped side was just fine. The wrapped side melted out the aluminum. Won't run any more wrap after that.

Had a talk with a co-worker about it the other week. If you are doing an all out race car, disposable parts after a race or season, need every trick part possible, go ahead and wrap. Expecting a good long life on a daily driver or weekend toy that you don't want to always be rebuilding, don't wrap.

gnpenning

Bronco Slave
Loc.
I have more questions than answers.
Had a talk with a co-worker about it the other week. If you are doing an all out race car, disposable parts after a race or season, need every trick part possible, go ahead and wrap. Expecting a good long life on a daily driver or weekend toy that you don't want to always be rebuilding, don't wrap.

Several years ago I recall reading a tech article that mirrored this. End result was just because it's used in racing or specialty application does not mean it's good for daily use for reasons mentioned.

Great advice.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
I've had good luck with it. I built a 4bt powered explorer sport trac years ago. The down pipe was stainless. It was wrapped from the turbo to underneath the floor boards. I put 90k miles on it daily driving. Down pipe never melted, cracked etc. Sold the truck to a local guy and he's been daily driving it for 3 years now. Down pipe is still going strong.

I did the same thing on my diesel powered 66 and no problems there either.

Qumanchew

Contributor
Loc.
Kutztown PA
Diesel exhaust temps are lower.

I wouldn't have have though so, but I've never checked the exhaust temp on a gas engine so I don't really know. I would occasionally hit 1400f pre turbo and regularly 1200f. I didn't have a probe after the turbo so I can't say for sure what the temps were in the down pipe, but I wouldn't think they were too much lower. What kind of temps are you guys seeing on gas engines?

darrell82

620 @ exhaust manifold, 500 @ collector, 350 @ muffler, 110 @ tailpipe. After cruising 30 miles @ 55 mph.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
We wrapped the headers on my race Bronco. 408. By the end of the 1000 the header on drivers side had failed and literally sagged enough to ruin it. I won’t be doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Broncobowsher

Total hack
620 @ exhaust manifold, 500 @ collector, 350 @ muffler, 110 @ tailpipe. After cruising 30 miles @ 55 mph.

Had a flowmaster heat shield on the 70 series muffler, held on with stainless hose clamps, really big ones. Those stainless clamps got hot enough to turn straw colored.

I have also taken chromed exhaust tips and turned them neat shades of purple. That was just towing with a full size pickup truck.

There is a LOT of heat in the exhaust that doesn't do well if you wrap it in a blanket.

I remember hearing about early turbo race cars. The turbo had a life expectancy of about 6 hours when they kept the heat in them.

But wrapped right, in the correct application, it sure does look great.