• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

experience with wildhorses staggered 4 core

CrazyHorse

Loc.
Clovis,Ca
Im In need of a radiator, not a 500 dollar rad. but something for under 400! Wildhorses staggered 4 core seems great especially for the price, any experience with these? Also, anbody ever used the aluminum Summit rads for under 200 they sell? Which one fits? If any? any part numbers if so? Thanks for anyones help. Oh, 77 with a 302 and manual tranny, soon to be 302 efi 5.0 h.o. with aod this winter!! I can Always change the water necks later when I do the swap.I hate spendin 500 on aluminum. I need a replacement now for the DMV inspection next month, weathers gettin too good for the 77 to sit in the shop.

doghows72

Bronco Guru
We (DUFFS) sell a high efficiancy 4 core Rad for 299.95 part number 3125. I've ran one for year with a 5.0 EFI & AOD combo. I lived in Phoenix, and Las Vegas for th last 10 years till relocating 3 month ago. Let me know if I can help. Steve H. :cool:

dredgenot

Radiator

I've been using BC Broncos heavy duty copper radiator for about 3 years now and it works great. It is only $300 and same size as stock, but quite a bit heavier. I haven't seen 200 deg. since I bought it. The hottest I got was 195 going up Tehachapi grade in 100 degree weather. BC also has a newer copper radiator he ran in the Baja 1000 for $350 I think.

bsaunder

Bronco Guru
I've run both the staggard 4 core from WH and the BC three core and prefer the BC radiator.

earlybronco

BC Rocks

I have the BC and it rocks. I have sat at idle for long periods of time (4 hrs in a tractor trailer accident) and never once had it run hot. Chuck at BC sell only quality products. :cool:

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
I've used to have the WH 4 core and now am using the BC 3 core. I would overheat in stop and go traffic and offroading with the WH 4 core. With the BC 3 core, I never go over 200f. I tried everything to stop the overheating with the WH 4 core because I thought it couldn't be the radiator after buying it. The only way I could keep things cool when going slow was to add a pusher fan. Now with the BC radiator, I don't even have to use the pusher fan to stay cool.

I don't mean to slam WH, in fact I've found their customer service to be superior to BC, but BC's radiator just works better for the money.

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
I use a Northern Aluminum radiator that was on sale for $180. It is my understanding that it is very similar to the ones Summit sells or perhaps is the same. Not sure about the part number. I just made a few measurements and made sure it would fit. On the initial installation i reworked the lower mounts to fit the wider tank and moved the top mounts both toward the center so they would fit over the top brace between the tanks. I've run this at an idle on more than one occasion for 1/2 hour at a time without any fan running at all and it didn't get hot enough to matter. (Had a bad connection on the electric fan at the time) Since my original installation I have moved it forward by modifying the core support to make room behind it for a Taurus electric fan. The combination keeps my 5.8 cool both on the road and off the road.

westco

Loc.
Klamath Falls, OR
I have used 4 cores and the Aluminum 2 cores. I like the aluminum radiator most of all. I have had both WHs and Tom's aluminum and Tom's fits better. $389.00 and you don't need new mounts like if you switch to a 4 core. He also sells fan shrouds for 2" and 3" body lifts.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
CrazyHorse said:
Im In need of a radiator, not a 500 dollar rad. but something for under 400! Wildhorses staggered 4 core seems great especially for the price, any experience with these? Also, anbody ever used the aluminum Summit rads for under 200 they sell? Which one fits? If any? any part numbers if so? Thanks for anyones help. Oh, 77 with a 302 and manual tranny, soon to be 302 efi 5.0 h.o. with aod this winter!! I can Always change the water necks later when I do the swap.I hate spendin 500 on aluminum. I need a replacement now for the DMV inspection next month, weathers gettin too good for the 77 to sit in the shop.

I have a 302 efi with an AOD. Mustang pulley set up, 17" flex fan, and shroud from Toms. 195 degree thermostat. (Had a 180 changed to factory spec due to low temp codes from computer) Heater works very well with 195 therm too!

I had stock rad re-cored with heavy duty 3 core and tanks modified for late model rad hose configuration. Local rad shop, quality work, $250 two days to do. Idle temps 198 degrees, freeway 70 mph 204 degrees, never seen over 208 degrees.

I know this seems like high temps, but late model emissions set up for higher temps. Rig runs well and passed smog last time.

Doug

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use the WH staggerd core radiator for 7 years now and it works fine. I have had the top mount resoldered twice. I cant vouch for current quality as alot changes in 7 years but the 4 core seems to work OK. Next radiator I purchase will be BC's 3 pass as I feel it is a step in the right direction technology wise. If your having an overheating problem and your current radiator isnt hopelessly plugged I would look elseware in the system first before replacing the radiator. If you just stepped up to more HP a radiator is probably necessary but a stock 302 should have no problems with a good stock radiator.

roksmurf

Loc.
Russellville Ark.
I also run the BC 3 core but got the new one with the triple pass (water forced through rad. 3 times) cant imagine a better radiator. something to consider with a aluminum, repairs or re cores almost not do-able..

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I'm not sure how the Duff's radiaters are now but I bought a 4 row from them a few years back and have had nothing but problems with it I've had to fix it more times than I like to admit I finally ended up romoving both tanks and resoldering them back on worked good for awhile but I think there tanks are to thin causing a lot of flex and cracking the solder causing leaks.
I plan on getting a BC radiator before summer hits just got to decide wether to go with the 3pass or regular

DownhillManiac99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orange County CA
COBlu77 said:
I've used to have the WH 4 core and now am using the BC 3 core. I would overheat in stop and go traffic and offroading with the WH 4 core. With the BC 3 core, I never go over 200f. I tried everything to stop the overheating with the WH 4 core because I thought it couldn't be the radiator after buying it. The only way I could keep things cool when going slow was to add a pusher fan. Now with the BC radiator, I don't even have to use the pusher fan to stay cool.

I don't mean to slam WH, in fact I've found their customer service to be superior to BC, but BC's radiator just works better for the money.

Mine idles fine in stop and go with no problems at all. Offroading it works just as good. I dont break 200 with a 195 thermostat. Dont mean to slam the BC radiator but my WH works just fine.

raharr3

Loc.
Linden,Ca
Your not slamming your just answering the fellas question about WH not the BC .... that others are pimping. ;D I thought the friggen title said it all ?:? or rather asked it all.

Sorry fellas sometimes I get a little irritable

Last edited:

todcolvin

I just installed the Wild Horses four core. Stay away from it. The manufacturer changed the specs on the tanks so they do not fit well. You have to modify you mounts to accept their radiator. Also, I now have to worry about overheating. A problem that I did not have before. I am not happy with the quality at all.

The radiator is the only thing I have from WH that is not excellent quality. I wish that I had spent the extra money and went with BCs triple pass.

Quick & Dirty

I had a Duffs 4 core, but after 2 years the solder failed, and it fell apart. I replaced it with a WH staggered and its worked fine for the last 6 years.

TonyPDX

Contributor
I have a Northern aluminum radiator like Saddleup. I put in one that was quite a bit bigger than original so I had to rework the mounts but it has been working well now for many years... All for the low low price of $212. Another friend of mine has a Northern as well but his is very close to the stock size and I think it was less than $200.

PS. I just had the outlets moved for the EFI conversion for $45.

Tony

SaddleUp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
TonyPDX said:
I have a Northern aluminum radiator like Saddleup. I put in one that was quite a bit bigger than original so I had to rework the mounts but it has been working well now for many years... All for the low low price of $212. Another friend of mine has a Northern as well but his is very close to the stock size and I think it was less than $200.

PS. I just had the outlets moved for the EFI conversion for $45.

Tony
Who did your mounts? Mine are still crossed over and I would like to get them right. Hmm... I'm gonna look at the measurements and maybe I'll try to get a bigger one with the right inlet and outlet already. I'll have to see how much more room I can make in the core support.

TonyPDX

Contributor
I did my mounts, but I suspect your real question is who did the radiator modifications. I had Mac's in SE Portland do it. You can drop it off at any of Mac's shops but I think they all end up at the SE location to be welded. I took it straight there so I could explain exactly what I wanted to them.

The radiator I am running is about 19"x22".

Tony