• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer 5.0 / AX15/ VSS

papy

Contributor
Hi all,

just wrapping up the rest of my wiring on my 67 5.0

I had gary EFIGuy rework my harness and i am wondering where the VSS connector plugs into? I have a brand new AX15 that has a couple wires with a connector on it, does the VSS connect to the AX15?

if so great! if not will also need to know what the AX15 wires connect to as well - thinking something to do with reverse lights?

Cheers!

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The trans wires should be for the backup lamps only. Not like a more modern transmission with all sorts of computer functions I don't think.
But what transfer case are you running? Still the Dana 20? Stock output shaft housing too? If so then your speedometer stuff goes into the port on the side just exactly like your stock speedo cable would.
In fact, if you're still using your stock speedo then your cable is still there. You just have to adapt the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to the existing setup.

If you're already running an electronic speedometer, then you'll have to figure out what each one needs and if they're compatible. Using just one VSS is the cleanest way, but it depends on what you have now.

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
The trans wires should be for the backup lamps only. Not like a more modern transmission with all sorts of computer functions I don't think.
But what transfer case are you running? Still the Dana 20? Stock output shaft housing too? If so then your speedometer stuff goes into the port on the side just exactly like your stock speedo cable would.
In fact, if you're still using your stock speedo then your cable is still there. You just have to adapt the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to the existing setup.

If you're already running an electronic speedometer, then you'll have to figure out what each one needs and if they're compatible. Using just one VSS is the cleanest way, but it depends on what you have now.

Paul

Paul,

Running the with bronco dana 20 and the stock output shaft. I currently have the stock speedo cable installed. Still learning my way around these electronics lol, so do i even need to hook up the explorer VSS cable? not sure i understand what needs to be done here.

thanks

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, if you're running the Explorer engine and computer you absolutely need the VSS sensor for the best running conditions. Especially important I think if you're running the automatic transmission that came on the Explorer too.

The trick is having all the right equipment to run both the mechanical cable for the speedo function AND the electronic VSS for the computer function.

I'm sure those that have done it will chime in 904Bronco has done it multiple times, including on my '68 (which I don't have pictures of underneath at the moment) and many others can answer your question more directly.
Even thought I've talked about it extensively over the last 20 years, I have not actually built one yet so my experience is mostly just driving it!%)

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Yes, if you're running the Explorer engine and computer you absolutely need the VSS sensor for the best running conditions. Especially important I think if you're running the automatic transmission that came on the Explorer too.

The trick is having all the right equipment to run both the mechanical cable for the speedo function AND the electronic VSS for the computer function.

I'm sure those that have done it will chime in 904Bronco has done it multiple times, including on my '68 (which I don't have pictures of underneath at the moment) and many others can answer your question more directly.
Even thought I've talked about it extensively over the last 20 years, I have not actually built one yet so my experience is mostly just driving it!%)

Paul

Paul,

I had no idea about the VSS adapting to my dana20/speedo cable.

I hope this is is one of those things that can be done with all the running gear in place. I can't see why not but i guess we will find out soon lol

Let's see what others have done...

Cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah, hopefully someone else is home and on their computers besides us!

I don't see why you could not do it in the vehicle. Nothing that is hidden or hard to get to. The speedo cable is easy to remove, and I think the VSS adapts to things sort of between the gear and the cable so to speak.
Got a pic of the VSS you're working with? Does it have a place for the driven gear on the end? Most do I think, but I can't claim to know about them all.

Paul

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Yeah, hopefully someone else is home and on their computers besides us!

I don't see why you could not do it in the vehicle. Nothing that is hidden or hard to get to. The speedo cable is easy to remove, and I think the VSS adapts to things sort of between the gear and the cable so to speak.
Got a pic of the VSS you're working with? Does it have a place for the driven gear on the end? Most do I think, but I can't claim to know about them all.

Paul

Paul,

I dont have a VSS. I just have the VSS connector coming off of the explorer harness that gary labeled VSS. I was trying to find where to plug it into which led me to start this thread.
Always something - working progress that never ends lol\

I just did some youtubing on VSS. I understand now what needs to be done just hoping someone can provide part numbers and details how to adapt everything.

cheers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ahh, now we're talking. We have these: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=vss that might help.
Notice you can see where the gear would transfer from your cable to the adapter on one, and on the new cable with the other.
We need to find out first if this is compatible with your computer and harness, but again that's something that someone here will know.

So this is an EFI Guy harness made directly from a Ford harness including Ford connectors. Correct?
Running the Explorer computer and distributorless ignition?

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
EFIGuy might also be the best one to ask what is the best VSS to use with a mechanical cable that's compatible with the Explorer computer signal.

paul

yakelys69

he talks about it on , post 2
its from a late 83-93 mustang.
Crazy thing is the one I bought for $25 now cost $129, but still can get other brands for $20ish

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
Papy,

A 4R70W has an OSS in its wiring harness that the Explorer ECU needs to see a signal from. Since you are running a manual tranny and making some assumptions on what Garry did...

He usually add wires for a VSS if asked. It is not something the Explorer ECU needs to see a signal from. It would be an extra, say if you had an electronic speedo or were adding aftermarket cruise control that needs a signal.

That vehicle speed sensor would go in the Transfer case speedo port. You need a VSS from say a Fox Body mustang that accepts a cable. There are ones that are sealed and do not accept a speedo cable. That generation of VSS was used on a lot of Ford cars/trucks of that era.
You also have to replace the factory speedo cable as the end is different that goes into the VSS. TBP sells both the cable separate and cable/vss in a kit. As does WH's...

The wiring for the VSS is usually one end is grounded and the other end supplies the signal. The signal is 8000 pulses per mile.
Assuming you have a plug on your harness, then that would plug into the VSS, there is a horse shoe type clip that hold the VSS into the Transfer case. I typically spread the ears, remove the clip and reposition it 180* out so that you get good fitment of the VSS and cable. (It needs to clear the D20 shift rail caps)

Depending on tire diameter and rear axle gearing, you may be able to reuse the drive gear on your current speedo cable. A clip holds it on, easy to swap. But should the readings be off on your speedometer, then you may have to change the gear tooth count. The gears come in different colors, depending on the tooth count. (Wh's sells them) there are also two types of gears, short nose and long nose... You want the short nose.

The drive gear, ring gear on the D20 can also be a... I think it is a 6 tooth or 7 tooth, which affects figuring out which drive gear to use. Those ring gears are also different colors, which you might be able to see by looking in the port on the D20.

Reverse lights, usually Garry incorperates that in his harness, so the Tranny switch just prevents the power from reaching the backup lights. One side will be power and the other is the feed to the lights. It does not matter how you hook them up to teh two wire switch on the tranny. A little different with a 4R70W... as the feed comes from the tranny shifter position switch.

Here is what I used last, I made other orders with these parts so I kept the shipping $$ down. For you it might be easier to buy a kit or source parts locally. I did have a local Speedo shop make the 1st cable I needed, but that was almost 20 years ago... Hope this helps, Doug

#8401 EFI Speedo cable from Tom's $40
#SMP-SC46 Standard Products VSS from Summit Racing $27.99

Attachments

• IMG_20210125_160137236.jpg
    IMG_20210125_160137236.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Paul,

Thank you for all the info. All this is new to me so back to the drawing board to source parts locally.

If i cant then ill be looking at what Doug suggested and what TBP and WH has to offer. Doug mentioned the D20 and Speedo gears, I have some homework to do on what i need.

thanks

OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
Ahh, now we're talking. We have these: https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/s?keyword=vss that might help.
Notice you can see where the gear would transfer from your cable to the adapter on one, and on the new cable with the other.
We need to find out first if this is compatible with your computer and harness, but again that's something that someone here will know.

So this is an EFI Guy harness made directly from a Ford harness including Ford connectors. Correct?
Running the Explorer computer and distributorless ignition?

Paul

EFIGuy might also be the best one to ask what is the best VSS to use with a mechanical cable that's compatible with the Explorer computer signal.

paul

Papy,

A 4R70W has an OSS in its wiring harness that the Explorer ECU needs to see a signal from. Since you are running a manual tranny and making some assumptions on what Garry did...

1. He usually add wires for a VSS if asked. It is not something the Explorer ECU needs to see a signal from. It would be an extra, say if you had an electronic speedo or were adding aftermarket cruise control that needs a signal.

2. That vehicle speed sensor would go in the Transfer case speedo port. You need a VSS from say a Fox Body mustang that accepts a cable. There are ones that are sealed and do not accept a speedo cable. That generation of VSS was used on a lot of Ford cars/trucks of that era.
You also have to replace the factory speedo cable as the end is different that goes into the VSS. TBP sells both the cable separate and cable/vss in a kit. As does WH's...

The wiring for the VSS is usually one end is grounded and the other end supplies the signal. The signal is 8000 pulses per mile.
Assuming you have a plug on your harness, then that would plug into the VSS, there is a horse shoe type clip that hold the VSS into the Transfer case. I typically spread the ears, remove the clip and reposition it 180* out so that you get good fitment of the VSS and cable. (It needs to clear the D20 shift rail caps)

3a. Depending on tire diameter and rear axle gearing, you may be able to reuse the drive gear on your current speedo cable. A clip holds it on, easy to swap. But should the readings be off on your speedometer, then you may have to change the gear tooth count. The gears come in different colors, depending on the tooth count. (Wh's sells them) there are also two types of gears, short nose and long nose... You want the short nose.

3b. The drive gear, ring gear on the D20 can also be a... I think it is a 6 tooth or 7 tooth, which affects figuring out which drive gear to use. Those ring gears are also different colors, which you might be able to see by looking in the port on the D20.

4. Reverse lights, usually Garry incorperates that in his harness, so the Tranny switch just prevents the power from reaching the backup lights. One side will be power and the other is the feed to the lights. It does not matter how you hook them up to teh two wire switch on the tranny. A little different with a 4R70W... as the feed comes from the tranny shifter position switch.

5. Here is what I used last, I made other orders with these parts so I kept the shipping $$ down. For you it might be easier to buy a kit or source parts locally. I did have a local Speedo shop make the 1st cable I needed, but that was almost 20 years ago... Hope this helps, Doug

#840SMP-SC461 EFI Speedo cable from Tom's $40
#SMP-SC46 Standard Products VSS from Summit Racing $27.99

Doug,

lots of info here lol. lets break it down a bit more...

1. I don't recall taking to Gary about the VSS however that was quite some time ago now and i could be wrong. This is what Gary prepared and labeled for my manual tranny set up. see pics

2. well i can buy the fox body VSS locally or a compatible one for that matter however if i have to buy a bronco specific speedo cable to work with the fox body VSS then its probably in my best interest to get a compete kit from out vendors mentioned to eliminate any errors and running around locally trying to source everything out individually.

3a/b. I guess i will have to figure out what gears i have on the speedo cable and inside the dana 20. My bronco was completely disassembled when i purchased it so who knows what the PO had going on.

4. Would the reverse light wiring on the reworked harness be on the part of the harness that feeds into the cab under the dash or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing a label for that however i will have a better look tonight when i get home.

5. i wouldn't even know where to start looking for a custom speedo cable to be made here locally. than you for providing the part numbers - i will start my searches and keep you all posted.

thanks again

Attachments

• VSS 1.jpg
    VSS 1.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 18
  • VSS 2.jpg
    VSS 2.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 19
  • VSS 3.jpg
    VSS 3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
I was also looking on rockautos web site for a VSS

the SMP-SC46 you suggested from Summit also says it is found on a 1998 Windstar. i went to rock auto website and put in 1998 Windstar and this is a part number that came up for Dorman.

looks like the dorman one is the same as the one you suggested from Summit?

4 pics of the DORMAN 917612 {#E45Y9E731A, E6DZ9E731D, E9LZ9E731A}

Attachments

• 1dorman 917612 .jpg
    1dorman 917612 .jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 2dorman 917612.jpg
    2dorman 917612.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 3dorman 917612.jpg
    3dorman 917612.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 4dorman 917612.jpg
    4dorman 917612.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 6

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I was also looking on rockautos web site for a VSS

the SMP-SC46 you suggested from Summit also says it is found on a 1998 Windstar. i went to rock auto website and put in 1998 Windstar and this is a part number that came up for Dorman.

looks like the dorman one is the same as the one you suggested from Summit?

4 pics of the DORMAN 917612 {#E45Y9E731A, E6DZ9E731D, E9LZ9E731A}

That is the correct style of VSS, but it appears from the pictures that it is set up for a Non cable application. That grey cover is the cap, there may not be an o-ring seal behind it for the cable? And there is no clip to retain the cable once/if you push it in. See pic for end of cable...

Regarding the connector on the grey trans plug, yes that is the correct plug for the style of VSS we are talking about.
Since you do not have Reverese light wires on that grey plug, I will assume that Garry has run them inside. Those will have to be routed to the wires in your body harness, which I assume run in the chassis wires to the back taillights. Sorry I don't remember from your thread if you have factory harness or aftermarket.

Gears to drive the speedo cable, not really critical at this point, as long as you have one to start with. Factory one is usually yellow in color, if I remember? Start with it and then you can figure out what you need after some seat time.

Doug

Attachments

• Speedo cable1.jpg
    Speedo cable1.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
papy

papy

Contributor
That is the correct style of VSS, but it appears from the pictures that it is set up for a Non cable application. That grey cover is the cap, there may not be an o-ring seal behind it for the cable? And there is no clip to retain the cable once/if you push it in. See pic for end of cable...

Regarding the connector on the grey trans plug, yes that is the correct plug for the style of VSS we are talking about.
Since you do not have Reverese light wires on that grey plug, I will assume that Garry has run them inside. Those will have to be routed to the wires in your body harness, which I assume run in the chassis wires to the back taillights. Sorry I don't remember from your thread if you have factory harness or aftermarket.

Gears to drive the speedo cable, not really critical at this point, as long as you have one to start with. Factory one is usually yellow in color, if I remember? Start with it and then you can figure out what you need after some seat time.

Doug

Doug,

For what its worth I think i am going to order one from TBP or WH to eliminate any order errors and the running around.

yes i have a factory 67 harness re installed. I will have a look in the cab tomorrow and find the reverse light wires - I'm sure they are tucked in the wires nest somewhere...

thanks again fellas! always a good help!

PS my biggest regret is not starting a build thread from the begging of my project. I have all the pics on my phone ( hundreds of them) and i plan to start a post build thread to date here soon.