• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 stock replacement front exhaust pipes with CATs and O2 sensors - will they work?

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Trying to keep the 5.0 swap as stock as possible in my EB which means I want to use the O2 sensors and CATs without deleting them and having to reprogram the PCM. Below is a stock diagram

1726070345457.png

What I'm interested in using is the the left and right cat pipes from my stock explorer manifolds. All the exhaust behind it will be custom. Could an exhaust shop duplicate the O2 sensor locations relative to some universal CATs and just do a complete custom job without messing up what the PCM expects to see?

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I don't think the Explorer cats will fit, as in a direct bolt in. But I see no reason they can't be adapted to fit.

First hurdle, I recall the Explorer manifolds don't fit the Bronco chassis. So there is no reference point in mounting the stock cats to. And the modifying starts...
No reason you can't use aftermarket and adapt as well. While some states have strict rules about replacing cats with approved ones, usually anything that is working is fine. I've done an aftermarket cat on a highly modified 302 that had nothing stock in it except the block and passed 1990 emissions.
As for placement, close is good enough. At one time there was a theory that they had to be exactly in the right spot, not that picky in the real world. There are some good rules, such as they should point down into the pipe, sideways if no other option, and avoid going up from the bottom. No leaks, not even tiny ones, before the sensor.

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
I know there are a couple of people that are using the Explorer manifolds. @garberz is the first one that comes to mind. But I don't know exactly what was needed on the exhaust side to make it all work. I can't say if the Explorer exhaust with CATS would fit the Bronco or not since the frame is so narrow.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I've got the stock tubular manifolds on and there doesn't seem to be interference but i haven't installed the D44 yet. 🤞 1000011039.jpg 1000011040.jpg 1000011042.jpg 1000011041.jpg

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
@904Bronco - its a 98ish and those are stock replacements from Dorman.
I'm going to get some flex exhaust pipe this afternoon and do a little mock up on routing. Unfortunately, my donor had the exhaust sections with with the CATs cut out already.

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Update:

I forgot I saved the original exhaust starter pieces which helps in determining routing.
Pass side looks like it has all kinds of room Driver side... not sure. Lpoks like it turns under the tranny. Maybe the exhaust diagram I have is wrong. 1000011054.jpg 1000011060.jpg 1000011058.jpg

Attachments

• 1000011057.jpg
    1000011057.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 8

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'd never seen the tubular style either. There are aftermarket full headers for the full-size pickups that have the EGR tube, but I think there is the typical fitment issues with a Bronco.
Did the Dormans come with the heat shielding already attached? Or is that your add-on stuff?
If added by you, what did you use?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I'd never seen the tubular style either. There are aftermarket full headers for the full-size pickups that have the EGR tube, but I think there is the typical fitment issues with a Bronco.
Did the Dormans come with the heat shielding already attached? Or is that your add-on stuff?
If added by you, what did you use?

Thanks

Paul
They came with it and matched the take-offs which both had frozen and broken flange bolts I didn't feel like drilling out,

1726227487722.png

OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
I did a bit more research and have the wrong exhaust diagram based on the shapes of my original starter pipe take-offs. This one from Walker appears correct.

1726227880101.png

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
How about some pics of a 96 explorer exhaust? I can get more, it’s in the garage.

@EFI Guy, I do own something with Ford stuff😝 it’s even stock and unmolested. For now… looking for the correct BW4406😈

Attachments

• IMG_2611.jpeg
    IMG_2611.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2610.jpeg
    IMG_2610.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2608.jpeg
    IMG_2608.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2607.jpeg
    IMG_2607.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Lightened the dark pic best I could. If the manifold clears the frame I don’t see why the stock pipe wouldn’t work, it is very tight to the trans

Attachments

• IMG_2609.jpeg
    IMG_2609.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
skrit

skrit

Contributor
A Horse with No Name
Loc.
Durham
Lightened the dark pic best I could. If the manifold clears the frame I don’t see why the stock pipe wouldn’t work, it is very tight to the trans
@Yeller Perfect - very helpful. I chose the stock steel manifolds over cast because they were original and I thought cast was more prone to cracking and had poorer build quality. I'm rolling the dice and just ordered the right and left starter pipes with the CAT's for the early 98 (pre February 1998) which I just learned I have. Same exhaust components as 96-97 from what I can tell. After February 1998, it looks like Ford changed to the cast manifolds and longer one-piece pipes with integrated rear cats.

What I ordered probably wont work exactly and will need some mods. We shall see. Trying to decide if I'm going to fool with the double rear CAT's like you have which was stock.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
Your welcome!

It might all fit. I’m sure the rear cats would but may need a different muffler, at that point it’s getting pretty long.

Let me know if you need more pics.