• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Valve Covers

boonz28

Hey guys, i'm thinking about putting some roller rockers on the engine i'm building but they won't clear the stock valve covers. For those of you who are running the Explorer 5.0 intake manifold, what kind of valve covers are you running (other than stock). Without having a top end on my engine i can't remember how much room there is for a taller valve cover.
Pictures are always welcome if you've got em.
Thanks
-Seth

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You could use an intake spacer to solve the problem, which might create another of being to tall to close hood.

Thats how you could always tell if the mustang had 1.7 vs 1.6 roller rockers, the bump in the hood.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
My buddy went down that path. He needed taller valve covers, then a 1" spacer under the upper. When wanting to go from a 2" body lift to a 1", it wouldn't clear under the hood. I don't see what advantage roller rockers are going to give you, other than a chain of headaches.

Mark

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

i have a 2" body lift so hood clearance shouldn't be an issue. i've seen some claims that a set of 1.7 ratio rockers can free up some extra HP on a stock engine (some claim up to 30hp but i'm guessing its more like 10). Its also not too late in the game for me to throw a different cam in and that was part of the consideration.

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

I'm very much still on the fence so i wanted to see what my options were. I definitely appreciate the feedback guys, seems like sticking with the stock rocker arms might be the way to go.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
The stock cam and valve train are tough to make better, even if I could squeeze another 30 HP out of my stock 5.0, I don't really need it. I don't have any issues with my EFI, because everything works together like it was designed. My buddy with the E-303 cam has fought idling issues from the git-go! Just saying.

Mark

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

The stock cam and valve train are tough to make better, even if I could squeeze another 30 HP out of my stock 5.0, I don't really need it. I don't have any issues with my EFI, because everything works together like it was designed. My buddy with the E-303 cam has fought idling issues from the git-go! Just saying.

Mark

Man, i really appreciate the perspective Mark. You've definitely helped me make up my mind, i'll stick with the stock rebuild and make my life a lot easier.
thanks again
Seth

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I dont think you need hp, you want more TQ. In general, taller rockers won't give you that. UNLESS, in a veryu small range, with a very specific camshaft, in a 347,. you will see low end improvements. But that gets into witchcraftery and not general stock motor stuff. I'd avoid high rollers, stick with stock, maybe aftermarket quality ones. If you want more, and simple, get more cubes. Use the short covers.

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Well while cleaning up my stock rocker arms today I found that some of the pivot balls were seriously damaged or broken.

31ce9039bf0a1fb56aea3c5ae33d99a6.jpg

Some of the rockers themselves are marred up pretty bad inside also but it's hard to get a picture of. That being said I have to replace these either way so now I'm back to rollers if I do have to spend money on something. I'll stick with a stock ratio (1.6) rocker though and go from there.
If I have clearance problems it looks like I have some options available to remedy that so I appreciate all the input guys.

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
# mpn902807427

Melling replacement rocker kit... Prices seem to range from less than $9 to $19

Or I have a full set of used rocker arms from a 90's something Mustang that I would be happy to part with... PM me if intersted.

Doug

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>> alot of the pedestal mount style roller rockers will fit under short stock valve covers....'93-'95 5.0 cobra engines came stock with the Crane Cams 1.7 roller rockers & short aluminum covers..... many times a little breather/pcv oil baffle massaging or grinding extra flashing on some aluminum covers is all thats needed to make them clear.... the stud mount style roller rockers pretty much always require taller covers....

Joe473

I used the scorpion rollers on the 347 and stock power by ford valve covers. Stock efi covers may be a little shorter but I agree the crane ones used to fit under stock covers. With the scorpion 1.6 I massaged the baffles with a small hammer.

1b5e4f3a52e56b88842cd2086d34b8dc.jpg
2953281291ca2da06ca763bded5c09c5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hucklburry rev2

I dont think you need hp, you want more TQ. In general, taller rockers won't give you that. UNLESS, in a veryu small range, with a very specific camshaft, in a 347,. you will see low end improvements. But that gets into witchcraftery and not general stock motor stuff. I'd avoid high rollers, stick with stock, maybe aftermarket quality ones. If you want more, and simple, get more cubes. Use the short covers.

But would that 1" phenolic spacer give you essentially a longer runner, which is good for torque?

I just received one with a lower intake (lightning lower) and wondering if I want to deal with using it or not....

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
My buddy with the E-303 cam has fought idling issues from the git-go!

Mark

I am curious to the idling issues your buddy has. I have a 347 with the e303 and a FiTech and it idles very smooth... a little too smooth for what I was hoping however the TQ is all down low being all in at 2500 RPM. Not really a better efi cam IMHO for a 347 if you are trying to get solid naturally aspirated torque down low.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I am curious to the idling issues your buddy has. I have a 347 with the e303 and a FiTech and it idles very smooth... a little too smooth for what I was hoping however the TQ is all down low being all in at 2500 RPM. Not really a better efi cam IMHO for a 347 if you are trying to get solid naturally aspirated torque down low.

It has trouble idling while in gear. Kind of like the converter stall needs to be a little higher. Idles too fast in park and neutral, most times won't stay running while in drive.

Mark

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

Well guys after a lot of debate I went with the stock ratio roller rockers and a different set of valve covers. I know this was against the advice of some but it was also at the advice of others. Ultimately it's just more familiar territory for me which makes me more comfortable and that's a big part of why I went that direction. I'll keep you all posted on how it works out. Big thanks to everyone for the input, I really appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
The way that I see it the slight HP gained from the rockers moving with less friction doesn't make the roller rockers worth the price of admittance. What does make them worth it is the more consistent rocker ratio as stamped rockers are inconsistent both from one to the next and in their ratio relative to where in their range of motion they are; and not having a rocker tip that is dragging the top of the valve stem sideways.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have a 347 with the e303 and a FiTech and it idles very smooth... a little too smooth for what I was hoping however the TQ is all down low being all in at 2500 RPM.

But generally acknowledged as a poor choice for a factory Ford EFI setup in a Bronco unless you get a proper tune. And since most users here at least have not gone to the trouble of re-tuning their ECM's we don't really have much feedback in that direction to pull from. I don't remember any in fact.
I can think of 9 for every 10 users with the Ford EFI setup that hate it in Broncos. Probably about equal to the number that love it in Mustangs maybe.

The combination of parts in your stroker and especially the use of the FiTech system are probably making all the difference.
Have you used them in any other engine combos yet? Same results?

Glad yours is running as hoped. Have two buddies with Ford EFI in Broncos and both hate it. One other buddy that had one in a 419 stroker with all the goodies, the cam advanced 6° and a custom-tuned ECM and loved the heck out of it!
That was in the red buggy that mtfit bought a few years ago and just sold. That engine was a real runner and could rev to the moon and still light up the 42" tires just off-idle practically on-demand.

Great cam when used with the right equipment it seems.

Paul

OP
OP
boonz28

boonz28

So if the e303 doesn't perform particularly well in a stock explorer 5.0 is there another cam that people seem to be happier with its performance over the stock cam?
At this point I'm far enough in my engine build that I won't be pulling the cam back out so this is purely to satisfy my curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk