• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0 Valve Covers

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With literally hundreds of cams out there with similar rpm ranges, I'm sure there are plenty that are both "worse" and "better" so to speak.
First, I think the 303 cams have a 110° lobe separation angle (or is that lobe centerline? I forget) and the Ford EFI setups tend to prefer more in the 114° angle range. It's not a huge difference, but it's enough.
Maybe it makes more of a difference as the cam gets more aggressive? The B303 was generally considered to be a winner, where the the E303 was less desirable. But I thought they had similar angles and durations, but with less lift? Maybe someone can confirm that. If there is more lobe separation on the B cam, that might explain why it was generally liked more than the E cam.

The ones that a bunch of the locals here are now using is the Comp Cams 35-308-8
Some are generally happy with their 112° cams, but even more with the 114's.
One guy in the secondary thread linked to in this one: http://www.norcalbroncos.com/forum/...-cam-for-5-0-EFI-swap&highlight=best+camshaft even mentioned taking out his E303 to replace with the Comp.

Paul

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
MY research found any alphabet cam from Ford while great in a mustang, was not as good as the stock explorer 5.0 camshaft, period. Now, the only thing slightly better for the mild side was the camshafts in the 260-265 region with ratings starting at idle or 1000rpm from comp cams. Anything more and your trying for to much HP at top end vs low end tq.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
The 5.0 Mustang H.O cam is not a bad choice for an Explorer engine in a Bronco if you know a Mustang guy that hasn't thrown them away.