• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
72_EB said:
Who's got one? I'd love to see some pics.

1998 Explorer 5.0. Unfortunately engine didn't come with front dress so serpentine stuff is Mustang 5.0. Explorer serpentine is better (more compact, better radiator clearance). Also converted to EEC-IV for simplicity.

Attachments

• fall04-1.JPG
    fall04-1.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 352
OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Thanks Lars. Wow! That looks really nice! Say, where did you get the motor? Wrecked donor? Crate?

Just finding a lot using the search on this one too right now. Just trying to edudumcate myself on this one a little more. ;)
Seems a little more complicated, but maybe worth it.

asmith140

Contributor
5.0 explorer

Lars,
Did you use the explorer wiring harness?? or did you go after market
Art

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I bought it as a crate long block back when Ford was dumping the last of the 5.0 motors. About 4 years ago. It was odd, you could see that they'd been fully assembled and then stripped again. Ford sold all the intake/electrical harness assemblies separately, but unlike the long blocks they all went to dismantlers and bulk sellers. I got one of those setups, which included upper/lower intake, throttle body, engine wiring harness, fuel rail and a bunch of sensors. I had to find my own front dress. At the time junkyard Explorer 5.0's were still pretty rare so I went with the Mustang serpentine stuff. Rather than trying to make the OBD-II stuff work (and I didn't have all the parts anyway) I trashed the wiring harness and some of the sensors, then using an FRPP harness and sensor kits plus other bits I scrounged, I converted it to 89-93 style Mustang 5.0 engine control. No big deal to do. I also had to toss the fuel injectors. For (I believe) the last few years of the Explorer 5.0 Ford used an oddball 17 lb/hr injector with a non standard electrical connector. They aren't compatible with EEC-IV so I bought a set of 19 lb/hr injectors as found on all the 5.0 HO motors, with the orange tops.

In all it's a great swap. There's an issue with spark plug interference on the Explorer 5.0 motors with gt-40p heads, but the first couple of years had straight gt-40 heads so any header will work. I have the former and modified my Wild Horses shorties to fit. Do a search here on Explorer and gt-40p. It's been covered in lots of threads. Either of those heads and the intake are much better flowing than the Mustang motors. The Explorer cam sucks. I swapped mine for a Crane stick. Several tuners I've spoken with around the country say that an Explorer 5.0 with a little port matching, cam change and decent exhaust can be tweaked to the far side of 280HP at the crankshaft. One guy was confident of 300. Of course you won't have the torque of a 351W, but it's no slouch. I have no idea what mine produces. It's a LOT more than the tired stock 302 it replaced.

If anyone is seriously considering the swap, I say go for it. I'm seeing good Explorer 5.0s go for less than $800 complete. If htere's interest I'll do a writeup on everything I did to complete my Explorer 5.0 swap (it won't be a how-to on EFI though- that's covered well in other sources) and maybe Jon will post it.

supermottl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Indian Harbour Bch,
I'm HUGELY intersted in a writeup.... I NEED EFI STAT!!
i'm too new at this to miss out. I hear the exploder intakes are too tall? Did you use the Mustang junk for that? Thanks man...
cheers to you!!@ :):

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
supermottl said:
I'm HUGELY intersted in a writeup.... I NEED EFI STAT!!
i'm too new at this to miss out. I hear the exploder intakes are too tall? Did you use the Mustang junk for that? Thanks man...
cheers to you!!@ :):

Explorer intake. Same height as the Mustang stuff. The TPS sensor is taller on the throttle body but if you use a Mustang TPS it solves that problem.

www.fordfuelinjection.com is a good place to start reading about EFI. There are thousands of column inches written up about EFI swaps elsewhere on the web as well. www.broncofix.com has an old writeup by Brian Wickert about a SEFI 5.0 into an EB. The vendor and price list info is obsolete but the basics are still valid.

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Lars, I wanted to echo the compliments on your setup. I just bought a 1999 Explorer motor to couple with an aod and put in my Bronco. Unfortunately the front accessories and brackets were not included with the motor. I do have a mustang set-up that I can use. What did you need to due to make the mustang set up work. I also like your hydroboost setup. What did you use? Did you have any clearance problems? I recently picked up a 95 astro booster that I am hoping to use. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Mad Dog

Hey lars, I've been thinking recently about replacing my tired old 302. Where would be the best place to pick up a complete, low-mileage Explorer 5.0? Is a bone yard the best place to go?

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Mad Dog said:
Hey lars, I've been thinking recently about replacing my tired old 302. Where would be the best place to pick up a complete, low-mileage Explorer 5.0? Is a bone yard the best place to go?

Boneyard, Ebay, www.car-part.com are all places to look. People who have been successful using all of those. Figure $400-800.

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
Check Ebay there is one for sale right now in the $500 range from LKQ. It is complete and looks like it might have the front brackets. I put the link in the parts for sale section below a couple of days ago.

OP
OP
72_EB

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Boy, those Ebay pictures stink. Still under $200 now. Some who could pick up in NY ought to jump on this one. You guys are sure making me want to keep this FI motor in my garage. ;) Wish mine had the shorty front belt stuff and GT40 intake too...oh well...90 HO is still more bang than a tired 302.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
supermottl said:
Lars,
any interference with the explorer intake and the hydroboost? I have H-boost and am leaning towards the explorer motor

Mine clears fine. My bracket was made so the booster would clear a SEFI intake though. It shiftes the booster a bit to the drivers side. Maybe 3/8" or so.

74horse

Loc.
Orlando, FL
I picked up a 1999 Explorer motor on Ebay from LKQ for $250 a couple weeks ago. The motor seems to be in good shape except it does not have the front brackets. I am struggling with searching for the Explorer front brackets to match the balancer, cover and water pump currently on the motor or switching everything over to a Mustang set-up which I have most of the parts for.

wheelin66bronco

Loc.
State of Jefferson
Lars, you're a showoff!!!

Did you get your tranny and t-case done in time for Jerry's BBQ?
I'd show a pic of my 351W w/explorer intake but don't want to make your truck look bad, ha ha.

Tyson

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
wheelin66bronco said:
Lars, you're a showoff!!!

Did you get your tranny and t-case done in time for Jerry's BBQ?
I'd show a pic of my 351W w/explorer intake but don't want to make your truck look bad, ha ha.

Tyson
(thread hijack) Tyson, you underestimate me... no way I was going to miss that! Sleep is overrated. I did have to keep my ego (slightly) in check- I didn't have time to wash it. The thing looked like it had been parked in a farm field for months. Which it basically had, since that's what we use for a parking lot at work. The tranny and t-case were worth the effort. 110:1 low range at one end and 2400 rpm at 70mph at the other is a good thing. Naturally you've got those axles in? I think you need to sell that heavy underperforming front 60 and be the first on your block to get a 609 hybrid ;) We missed the sound of your 351W rumbling down the street!