• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer 5.0L OBD-II Control?

77bronocman

Anyone out there running a stripped down OBD-II explorer computer to control their 5.0 motor? I like the thought of using the distributor less setup with crank and cam position sensors. It seems like everybody is going the earlier mustang MAF OBD-I route though. If I try the explorer setup, I will need to reprogram or dummy out several sensors. If you have experience please tell me what is involved and if I should go this way or not.

I'm trying to finish my 97 explorer 5.0 install. I have all the explorer stuff including the harness so I'm thinking I shouldn't need to spend much money to get the thing running. If I go the mustang control route I'm shopping for a computer, RJM or similar harness, and a few other things that could cost as much as another $1000.

Any information is appreciated. I'm getting close to running out of money on this thing!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Dave's thread (linked above) is the best we have.

It is not common. Many variants of the Explorer over its life, many of which were running changes. So even saying a '97 Explorer could mean an early, mid or late '97 and all have non-interchangable components. Very little support unlike the mustang versions. Explorer harnesses don't "strip out" very well. Lots of little things like fuel level, fuel tank pressure, fuel temperture, four O2 sensors.

The simplist, most hassle free, and in the end usually cheaper route is to just use the tried and true EEC-IV from mustangs. Very well known, lots of support, no extra stuff to cause issues.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
As pointed out, Dave did great work.

You can do an EEC-IV distributorless setup, using the Explorer coilpacks, cam and crank position sensors, with a Mustang A9L computer. Requires a user-programmable chip (Tweecer or Moates Quarterhorse for example) and some junkyard scrounging for wiring stuff. Mine has been running with it for almost 7 years.

OP
OP

77bronocman

More questions

Thank you for all the information. I have decided to take your advice and stay with the more common mustang 5.0 OBD-1 controls. I have a few more questions, so maybe you guys can answer or point me to the right thread(s):

Where the heck are you finding these $25-50 A9L CPUs? I haven't seen one for less than $150. If anyone has one for sale at a good price... I'm interested.

I have most everything from a 97 Mountaineer. I'm trying to find a nice clean looking air box, MAF, and tube to get to the throttle body on the cheap if you know what I mean. Please suggest some good donor vehicles and maybe some to avoid. Along those same lines, are most using the 90 degree elbow or just bolting the throttle body straight to the upper manifold? If I use the elbow, it looks like the TB will need to be turned upside down. I've looked at Dan Wheelers install but of course he flipped the intake... mine will point to the passengers side.

Do the BC broncos type throttle cable fit the explorer engine or only the mustang? Any mods req'd?

I discovered that my metal fan is bent slightly and I'm worried it will cause unwanted vibrations. Anyone got a clutch fan for sale? Is it reasonable to try to repair a bent fan?

Do I really need to buy a new coil? Where are you guys mounting this thing... assuming that you're using the mustang spark plug wire set.

How do I know if I need a new TFI module? Seems like most are replacing these and/or buying spares.

I'm using the mustang in tank fuel pump setup with return line. Are you using a standard type inline fuel filter or is this mustang specific? Are you mounting near the engine or near the tank?
Can you point me to a fuel tank venting/carbon canister schematic? Not much information on this from the articles. Is it necessary?

I still need a few more sensors to complete install if anyone has spares for sale: MAP, BP, MAF with air box as mentioned above. I'm going to the salvage yard on Thursday!

Thanks in advance.

Broncobender

Loc.
Tum Tum
I may have just gotten lucky but I did a late 97 Explorer 5.0 and had no problems. I got the wiring diagrams from Ford and just hooked up power to anywhere the diagram showed. To make it easier I did get the under hood fuse/relay box with the engine and harness. By the way I was also able to use two of the relays in the box for a headlight relay system.

I used the 97 intake without the elbow, the rubber tube, MAF and air box from the 97 Ex. I cut the bottom out of the airbox and mounted it so that in hung off the front of the right fender well behind the battery. The theory was twofold. 1st it was cheap and looked OK for now. 2nd I was hoping to get slightly cooler air into the intake from between the battery and inner fender. My throttle body fit right side up with the cable and throttle pedal mods shown in the Inject Your Horse articles (Bronco Driver Mag). I used the stock Exploder 5.0 cable

I'm not sure about the Mustang Fuel filter but the Ford trucks and vans (late 80s, early 90s used a large filter that I mounted to the drivers fender well to make changing it easier. I forgot to clean the varnish out of the tank before I ran it so I changed it often for a while.

Hope this helps

Rox Crusher

Bronco Guru
I also used the Explorer / Mountainer air intake tube but I used an aftermarket air filter cone.

I removed the 90 degree elbow.

I used the BCB throttle cable after I had the Viperwolf cam pulley mods done to it. Throttle control is awesome and has allowed some great results while wheelin'.

My mechanics give me great advice.

Attachments

• kids n broncos.jpg
    kids n broncos.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 54
  • EFI engine bay 4.jpg
    EFI engine bay 4.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 93

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
I also used the Explorer / Mountainer air intake tube but I used an aftermarket air filter cone.

I removed the 90 degree elbow.

I used the BCB throttle cable after I had the Viperwolf cam pulley mods done to it. Throttle control is awesome and has allowed some great results while wheelin'.

My mechanics give me great advice.

Very Clean Install! ;D