• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

explorer efi swap complete, hood hits tps

briancave

Just finished my EFI swap onto my 72 302 and it actually started right up! Pretty excited about that. Still need to drive it around to see that all is well and the sump is not filling with coolant. One problem is that the hood closes but rests on the tps plug on the top of the tb. Im sure when the motor mounts flex around I"m going to get a dent. I feel like I saw somewhere that there are various throttle bodies that came on different years of explorers, some being lower profile that others. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I just installed stock body mount bushings (mistake in hindsight) and would hate to do that again with a 1" bl to fix this. Any ideas? TB is from a '98 explorer.

Last edited:

EFI Guy

Sponsor/Vendor
TheEFIguy@gmail
Loc.
BFE
IIRC, the 96 throttle body and TPS provides the most clearance.

ScanmanSteven

Bronco Guru
Gonna be tight w/o body lift. I have a 1" lift and it's tight. Might be able rotate it to get it to fit.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
That's correct. You can also shim your existing body mounts with an extra washer.

May work staticly. But I know the engine and body mounts move around while driving. I would recommend more clearance then just what a washer would provide.

OP
OP
B

briancave

I'm thinking I may need to bite the bullet and do the body lift. Aargh. At least it should be easier this time around.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I rotated the throttle body around to get more clearance, but on my 351W I'm just going to cut a giant hole and put a scoop on it...

OP
OP
B

briancave

I was thinking of the rotating TB idea but in the end, I think that would cause me more headaches with my throttle linkage setup and just replace one problem with another.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
OEM body bushings and motor mounts, if you rotate it you should be good

Attachments

• DSC00528.jpg
    DSC00528.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 77
OP
OP
B

briancave

Hmm. Surfer-b, Thanks for the picture! That actually may work. Are you using a BC broncos type cable throttle setup or something else?

Last edited:

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got my intake pointed the other way - unlike everyone else...
IMG_20130615_102444_563_zpsb8dad97d.jpg

trentturner27

i put the throttle body right on upper intake without the elbow. not sure if yours is that way or not. if you are using it it might get you a little more clearance by taking it out since it will be a little closser to cab.