• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Explorer fan question

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've only had mine come on once or twice - only when I was in super thick mud and I was pounding on it hard. I haven't even heard it with my 400HP motor with a 4.0 radiator. It just works awesome- plastic fan from the junkyard, original junkyard clutch.

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
I've tested the Exploder clutch fan setup up and run it up to 215F once but never heard it kick on...I can get about one revolution out of it when cold, spinning it by hand... plastic fan

I have not ever heard it engage like "most" other clutch fan setups do

My truck like others, you can hear the roar as the clutch engages and then all fan roar dies away when it disengages...never heard that once on the Exploder setup...

Like you, I've always wondered if mine is totally locking up or not.

Viper, so you need a different pulley to screw the fan to for the steel blade fan? I thought they were the same-another bit of Bronco trivia learned today... : )

pbwcr

Hi Todd,
Some updates on the Exfan/HD clutch (Motorcraft YA220 and Hayden2794). Beautiful 11 plastic blade fan. Cost is reasonable at $47+$59 from Amazon.
Yes I have the big rushing sound on cold startup. Lately it sure is quiet at anything above 80F. During normal driving the clutch seldom engages (never?). Even towing up the CO mountain passes it stays quiet (much cooler ambient). It does come on when driving in high range following an RV at 10MPH on the passes.
Its another story in Baja. Always quiet (reasonable warm weather) until I hit the sand wash and when the clutch engages I get a big cloud of silt under the rig and thru my hood vents. Not to bad because I am in a closed rig. Would not be so good in an open rig.
Anyway I wish I had this setup on the EB, but I still have the Mustang setup and Explorer is not an option at this time.
How I got up to speed was a thread elsewhere by a radiator shop owner who had an Explorer come in one day. It got him thinking and experimenting and he tested with an anemometer various fans and clutches ending up with the pair noted. The Explorer fan has to have a shroud to accepts the 18" Ex fan. That means a centered shroud that has a 19-20" opening. Result for a EB is make your own since I could not find one to buy. Anyway, my EB has the correct shroud but the wrong fan. Make your own Shroud from a Ford plastic one cut and reinforce with fiberglass to make it aerodynamically smooth. IMO, stay away for the metal fab shroud due to lack of aero internal shape.
Yes, I know all my testing is on the Jeep. Data is still good and agrees with the radiator shop guy. The Jeep cooling system (late model) has way more margin than any EB will have so be sure you understand that. Radiators & shrouds do mater.
Regards, PaulW

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Viper, so you need a different pulley to screw the fan to for the steel blade fan? I thought they were the same-another bit of Bronco trivia learned today... : )

No. The pulley bolts to the water pump flange. The fan clutch screws on to the end of the water pump shaft. The fan bolts to the clutch.